Objectivism Online Forum

A Conversation between Napolean and LaPlace

Rate this topic

August DeMorgan reports this conversation between Napoleon and La Place, in his book -A Budget of Paradoxes-.

Napoleon: How is it that you say so much about the Universe you say nothing about its Creator?

La Place : No Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis.

Napoleon: Ah, but it is such a good hypothesis. It explains so many things.

La Place : Indeed Sire. M. Lagrange has, with his usual sagacity, has put his finger on the precise difficulty with this hypothesis. It explains everything and it predicts nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that identifies the main purpose of science, to predict what we do not already know and do it correctly (verified empirically). A scientific theory must not only offer explanations but it must make testable predictions. Goddidit is not an acceptable explanation for anything.

Bob Kolker

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:)

I like to think of the miracle of flowers growing one moment and of babies living and the blue skies above. Yea, verily, also the miracle of the opening of the Red Sea and the arising of Jesus from the Dead. I wonder, though, which set of events is the miracle? The commonplace of nature or that which differs from nature? O la, let the theologian explain this to me. Which set of miracles does he choose as the True Miracles? Then and only then will I know the True Place of science in God's Eternal Universe:)

best to all,

Mike

August DeMorgan reports this conversation between Napoleon and La Place, in his book -A Budget of Paradoxes-.

Napoleon: How is it that you say so much about the Universe you say nothing about its Creator?

La Place : No Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis.

Napoleon: Ah, but it is such a good hypothesis. It explains so many things.

La Place : Indeed Sire. M. Lagrange has, with his usual sagacity, has put his finger on the precise difficulty with this hypothesis. It explains everything and it predicts nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that identifies the main purpose of science, to predict what we do not already know and do it correctly (verified empirically). A scientific theory must not only offer explanations but it must make testable predictions. Goddidit is not an acceptable explanation for anything.

Bob Kolker