Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivists,time To Wake Up

Rate this topic

Objectivists it is time to wake up. Some of us have reached the point of being an objectivist by an intellectual exercise and other through live experiences. Either way we have reach a common ground. We demand rationality in our daily life. We have all read Ayn Rand's beautiful prose and said to ourselves we are not alone in demanding rationality in our lives. I have read and listened to Anthem a number of times and every time feel like cheering at the end. In the Fountainhead, I see Howard Roark and say to myself I wish I had his courage. If we just sit back and debate fine points of Objectivism we are doing nothing to help the cause of Objectivism.

We must do something to get the core of the ideals of rational living and Objectivism out to the general people. Remember that the print media did not help Ayn Rand so just imagine what it must be like for an Objectivist to get new material out in print, radio, television or movies! Currently, the movies, radio and television is carrying the message, don't think, we will do that for you! An Objectivist saying think is the last thing the media wants.

We must encourage Objectivist points of view in the public eye and the major question is how.

The question which confronts me is, "how do I want to live my life?" I am certain at this point that the answer is not, "as an evangelist." I am also certain that if the answer in part is, "consistent with the principles of Objectivism," then I very desparately need to understand those principles in their full meaning - and that includes every fine point.

(At this point, my answer is, "as a businessman.")

We must do something to get the core of the ideals of rational living and Objectivism out to the general people.  Remember that the print media did not help Ayn Rand so just imagine what it must be like for an Objectivist to get new material out in print, radio, television or movies!  Currently, the movies, radio and television is carrying the message, don't think, we will do that for you!  An Objectivist saying think is the last thing the media wants.

We must encourage Objectivist points of view in the public eye and the major question is how.

Ideas flow from the top on down; from the philosophers, to the intellectuals in various fields, to the teachers, to the writers and journalists, to the people who read books and papers and go to the movies. A great deal of effort has been put into developing Objectivist intellectuals over the years, formally by the Ayn Rand Institute and informally by others, and there are now many tenured Objectivists in academia. Many technical and popular books have been written and there are many in the works. See this post by my wife, Betsy, and see her monthly Cybernet for an ongoing update of the world of Objectivism.

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.p...indpost&p=41707

Who is we? You really feel the need to get out and do something? Go to college and get a Phd in philosophy. That is needed first and above all. This is on the condition that philosophy even means anything as a profession in acedamia anymore. It might not, I don't know. Economics would be the next best thing.

The Ayn Rand Institute is doing some marvelous work promoting Objectivism. You can contribute to their efforts, or help them in their campaigns.

The purpose of Objectivism is living well. If you live well - people will be affected simply by wanting to imitate you, or to "learn your secret".

The point where I do agree with you, GrayBob, is that Objectivists should not lock themselves for all eternity in a solely Objectivist environment. If you want to make a difference, the best way is not to cater to a small crowd of "certified" Objectivists - but to cater to the largest audience possible.

You simply have to be so good at what you do, regardless of Objectivism, that you become someone people look up to and want to hear what you think. Then, and only then, you can use your reputation to spread your ideas.

If you are a journalist - think big. Write for the best newspaper you can. Don't write Objectivist propaganda but merely GOOD REPORTING. Then, as the time comes you will be able to speak more explicitly about your ideas.

If you are a professor/student/scientist/engineer/businessman - just do the absolute best you can do. Don't think about spreading Objectivism. It will spread simply by you being yourself, not shunning an argument, and doing your absolute best regardless.