Objectivism Online Forum

Carter proves he can make the same mistake twice.

Rate this topic

Pokarrin

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,391821,00.html

It's always astonishing to me to see such blatant anti-industrialism, even though I know it happens daily. I just can't conceive of a person who knows, by his own admission, what benefits a project would bring to people, and still subsumes human needs to those of 'nature'. This quote from the article really sums it up for me:

"We need to start arousing some opposition to let them know this is not a popular thing. You ought to prepare for a massive fight," Carter told the fish-fry crowd. "Because you're up against the promise of employment and recreation and higher land prices — and more water for Atlanta."

Not only does he admit that this project would help mitigate the effects of the drought and boost the local economy (good for everyone), he also blatantly contradicts himself by saying they need to "arouse opposition" to prove it's not popular. If it's not popular, opposition shouldn't need to be aroused (just organized), and if it is, no opposition can be aroused, except by lying to people about possible negative effects of the dams. They would have to lie because, according to the article, the feasibility study has not yet been done, so there isn't yet sufficient evidence to make a judgment of that sort.

More than 30 years ago Carter and the enviros helped to create the current drought conditions in Atlanta and now they are back for another bite at the apple. This is just another example of the way the environmental movement values undisturbed nature over man. It's sickening and Carter continues to cement his well-deserved reputation as one of the worst presidents in US history.