Objectivism Online Forum

South Park's Economy Episode

Rate this topic

South Park's newest episode is a parody of the economic crisis. SP is usually lightly Libertarian leaning but ultimately more mixed than anything (that's probably redundant) and this episode was precisely that. If you haven't seen it you can watch their episodes for free online at: http://www.southparkstudios.com/

The plot turns into an allegory with one group dogmatically withdrawing it's participation in the economy fearful of it's mysterious omnipotence. The second group influenced by Stan, their make-shift Jesus, thinks that the economy, money, and credit only require faith and spending to work. They appear to draw a false dichotomy between a life of ascetism and keynesian spending.

However at one point they give their impression of how the government decides what to do with troubled companies. Watch the episode for this one joke alone, it had me in tears.

In the end this episode is all over the map. They seem to be saying that spending will fix the economy, and yet that the government has no idea what it's doing. There are some genuinely funny moments but it's not what I was hoping for.

South park usually points out all the hypocracy and irrationalities, and rightously makes fun of them, but it never presents a solution. On one hand thats good because I wouldn't imagine south park writers to come to rational conclusions. On the other hand its bad, because its promotes kinda whats the use, finding the truth is futile mentality.

Edited by avgleandt