Objectivism Online Forum

My Side Job

Rate this topic

As an Objectivist I've learned to keep my eyes open for all kinds of opportunities and it's really given me a great perspective on a proper work ethic. I enjoy "being busy" because I know that I'm working to make a good life for myself and where a lot of people may complain about long hours and wasting their time I know that I'm being productive and can enjoy my time--even when the going gets tough.

So when this opportunity for a weekend job rolled along I had to hop on it. I am now officially a balloon artist. The past month I've squeezed in training in the off hours and now I know about 30-40 different creations and I work with a small local business (just three of us right now) doing performances at festivals, music events, trade shows, etc... This on top of a full-time job and studying for the actuary exams keeps me mega busy, but as much fun as it is to go out and make crazy balloon creations for people it's worth it! PLUS (and I include this purely out of marvel at my own situation) once I'm done with the on the job training I'll be pulling in more than $50 / hour doing balloon gigs, so it totally fulfills all my "objectivist greed" for the almighty dollar! Haha!

P.S. I'm not a frequent poster, but am a frequent reader of the forums... thanks for lot's of entertaining reading!