Objectivism Online Forum

New Dude!

Rate this topic

My name's Rory and I am a sophomore at the University of South Florida. I'm majoring in Computer Science/Computer Engineering (declared) and Economics (undeclared). I guess you can say I'm new to labeling myself "Objectivist". I've shared the ideals my whole life but it wasn't until recently that I started researching Objectivism. I was lucky enough to be raised by Objectivist parents. They don't keep current with what's going on in Objectivism or anything but they read plenty of AR back in the day. If AR hadn't broke down the barriers like she did, it probably would have been my mom.

It's incredible for me to find other people that understand the purpose of a brain. I was beginning to think I could only find them in my immediate family. Every once in awhile I'll come across another atheist, only to find out they are really just a pissed off Christian and don't actually know how to think rationally.

I read The Virtue of Selfishness and I am almost done with Part One of Atlas Shrugged. So don't ruin it for me!

Does anyone else come from an Objectivist background or have you all had to make the discovery on your own?

Does anyone else come from an Objectivist background or have you all had to make the discovery on your own?

I'll give you a brief illustration that should answer your question. A few years ago, my dad said: "If there is one piece of advice I can give you, it's this: be humble. Don't think you always know what's good for you. Don't be arrogant - there are plenty of people that are smarter than you in this world". When I asked him why he was telling me this, he said: "I'm telling you this, because it's what my father told ME, a long time ago."

:dough:

Welcome to the forum. And enjoy the rest of Atlas Shrugged. I envy you, because I wish I was reading that book for the first time!

My mother thinks she is an Objectivist but is irrational in a number of ways and fails to understand many aspects of the philosophy; she was the one to introduce my older brother to Ayn Rand. He became a true Objectivist and introduced me to rational thinking.