Objectivism Online Forum

Do people with mental retardation have Rights?

Rate this topic

I mean the kind of man that can't think at all and must have someone to feed him, move him, etc.

My stab at it is no.

He wouldn't be considered human if he cannot think, and cannot act in anyway.

Apart from the obvious biological outlook.

Again, please do try to do a little more than just post a topic to just ask a question. Ask us why you're asking us this question: what dilemma's you're having. State a problem of mentally retarded people being considered someone with the same rights as us.

And if you can provide examples. Because this question is impossible to answer without examples. You could be referring to a vegetable, for all I know.

In the sense of contract rights, I would have to say no. This is based purely on my knowledge of the law as it currently is - that a mentally adjudicated insane person has a void contract. Since he is mentally damaged, I would say he needs someone to confirm any contracts he makes, depending upon his level of insanity.

Edited by Black Wolf

• 4 weeks later...

They do all long they are people, and have that rational faculty.

As their not, they 90% belong to their owners \ parents (I do not know yet about fully. I still have to think of nonprimitive animals' right: ethically for their emotion and a tiny bit of free will [like when a dog chooses who to come over] probably demand emotional rights -- not rights to live and to property [about why they don't I'll speak in the consideration about animals' rights], but not to be suffering as a result of physical force of man up from a certain level of -- still I've got no way to prove it, yet).

T.R.

Edited by Tomer Ravid