Objectivism Online Forum

How does Irrationality lead to all human evils?

Rate this topic

Saurabh

I am reading OPAR, and have a question on the relation of Irrationality to Human evils.

On page 222 (second para), the author states: Irrationality is the root of all other human evils. My question is - Which of the following is implied by this statement:

A. Any act of irrationality leads to human evils.

B. Any human evil can be attributed to irrationality.

I have no further question if the author's statement only implies B.

But if it implies A, than I would like to understand the exact mechanism (may be by an example). I think such an example will be a great demonstration of the consequences of irrationality.

Many thanks!

Look at this way: is irrationality ever "good"? Never, in principle.

Of course subsequent coincidences can render some irrationality "right" in retrospect, but it would still be wrong to be irrational in the expectation of being rescued by some coincidence. Suppose I'm driving along in a terrible mood, and I decide to take my anger out by swerving hard left and ramming my car into the one next to me. Now, by a strange coincidence, an electric wire by the side of the road snaps right then and I'm only saved from being electrocuted by the fact that I swerved. That does not make my act rational.

Apart from that type of situation -- which does not change the evaluation anyway -- irrationality is never good for you. It is always bad for you... i.e. it is evil.

Edited by softwareNerd

Let me specify where I am coming from: If we believe statement A to be true, then I think a demonstration by an example will make a very strong case against irrationality.

Also, I think the point will be made quite strongly if we link irrationality to 'big' human evils such as wars, terrorism, etc.

I wanted to know if any of you is aware of any such linkage shown in any of the Objectivist literature.

I fully understand why irrationality is evil for a human being (based on deductive logic used in OPAR). But I now want to see a 'demonstration' of how any human irrationality leads to a 'big' human evil.

Please let me know if question is not clear. Below is what the demonstration that I am seeking, may look like:

A very common human irrationality is believing in God.

This leads them to abandon reason.

This leads to ...

Ultimately, this leads to <a big human evil, such as terrorism>

Let me specify where I am coming from: If we believe statement A to be true, then I think a demonstration by an example will make a very strong case against irrationality.

Statement A makes the logical fallacy of Affirming the Consequent. It is not true. The author did not imply A, he simply stated B.

That is the end of the point.

Here is the connection:

Morality is a code of values -> values are gained or kept using virtues -> rationality is the primacy virtue

Immorality is a wrong \ none code values that does not help to achieve one's survival and to pursue his own happiness -> values are not gained or kept and therefore not gained of kept using using virtues.