Objectivism Online Forum

Why EVER donate to private charity?

Rate this topic

clayk32

But I'm not crazy about either peanut brittle OR toffee! Now I'm lost....Objectivism is just too complex for my brain.

But back to the main topic: in this area, then, would I be correct in saying (based on the responses here) that there is no difference, then, between one of my Christian friends giving to charity for what they say are rational reasons (the action reflects their values) and an Objectivist doing the same for the same stated reason? The difference, then, is not a Christian/Objectivist difference so much as a value-based vs. "duty"-based difference.

Is that a reasonably correct summary of the responses stated so far? I appreciate the input.

But back to the main topic: in this area, then, would I be correct in saying (based on the responses here) that there is no difference, then, between one of my Christian friends giving to charity for what they say are rational reasons (the action reflects their values) and an Objectivist doing the same for the same stated reason? The difference, then, is not a Christian/Objectivist difference so much as a value-based vs. "duty"-based difference.

Just because a Christian (or anyone) "says" their values are rational does not suffice. They need to rationally verify that they are, and so do we (in other words, I would not blindly take their word for everything they say). This does not mean you have to demand a reason for everything someone does, only that you remain aware of whether or not what they are doing is rational, since this will be part of your evaluation of this person. I don't know if giving to the ASPCA is the right thing for my friend to do, but unless I have reason to doubt it, I will assume that it is so. So, assuming the values are rational for both people, then I would agree with your statement. Who holds the value is not important. A Christian and an Objectivist can do something for the same reason and both be right.

Now, if the Christian were to say that they donate because God asked them to, that would not be rational and would not be morally equivalent to someone doing the same thing for rational reasons.

Instead of value vs. duty I would say it's self-interest vs. duty. Both self-interest and duty are based on values, it's just that duty is based on the wrong ones.

Not knowing anything about the companies currently doing cancer research and lacking a selfish interest in a cure for cancer, I have no idea where the best place to put money would be.

Try Genentech where Objectivist Dr. Avi Ashkenazi works.

You'll find Avi's company profile at http://www.gene.com/gene/research/sci-prof...enazi/index.jsp and some info on his current research at http://www.gene.com/gene/ir/financials/ann...al/research.jsp.