Objectivism Online Forum

New to the forum

Rate this topic

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum, if not to Objectivism – I discovered Ayn Rand in 1986. Despite my enthusiasm for Objectivism I haven't really moved in Objectivist circles for some time now, although I did give a series of lectures at the last summer conference, and a forum like this seems to be a good way to interact with other students of the greatest philosophy ever penned.

By way of background: I'm an art historian and amateur aesthetician, trained (Harvard Ph.D.) in Islamic art and architecture and currently working at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. In addition to art I am especially keen on languages, the more "exotic" and out-of-the-way the better (currently obsessed with Georgian).

Hope to show up on a forum or two sometime soon. In the meantime I'll try to think of a cool signature.

Barry Wood

Yes, welcome. ^_^ May I ask where you gave the lectures and what were they on?

I did three lectures titled "Ayn Rand's Aesthetics in Historical Perspective" at the OCON 2004 conference in Virginia. Sad to say they're not available on tape or I'd suggest you buy a copy. ^_^ I am writing a chapter on much the same topic for a book on Ayn Rand that ARI is bringing out (hopefully) this year.

Thanks for the welcome,

Barry

I did three lectures titled "Ayn Rand's Aesthetics in Historical Perspective" at the OCON 2004 conference in Virginia. Sad to say they're not available on tape or I'd suggest you buy a copy.  :P  I am writing a chapter on much the same topic for a book on Ayn Rand that ARI is bringing out (hopefully) this year.

That's really too bad they're not on tape. I know almost nothing of Rand's aesthetics. I know about The Romantic Manifesto, but that's near last on my list to read by her. What is OCON, by the way? I've seen it referenced before, but I don't know what it is.

I will be looking forward to your posts!

Zak