Objectivism Online Forum

Foreign Aid

Rate this topic

Hakarmaskannar

I'm not sure how recent the remarks are but I've just found them in a paper circulated around my workplace.

Moeletsi Mbeki, brother of the South african President, made a comment regarding Foreign Aid that I wish the do-gooders involved with the West's Foreign Policies, and those who recently started their 'Make Poverty Hisory' campaign, would take notice of.

He said,"The best way to keep Africans poor is to keep pumping in money from abroad. Aid has not only failed to end poverty, it has made African governments less accountable to their people because they do not need their taxes and therefore their consent. Foreign Aid has propped up corrupt and sometimes murderous elites: the same people who, the World Bank estimates, have smuggled around 39% of sub-Saharan Africa's private wealth out of the continent to invest abroad. Africans don't need money: they need the rule of law, opposition parties, decent civil services-and the know-how to run their own businesses."

Now if only the altruists and guilt-mongers would take heed of a voice of reason who they can't denounce as a greedy, western capitalist. :devil: