Objectivism Online Forum

Can actions exist apart from entities?

Rate this topic

Farrier

The point where I struggle here is actions can occur by non sentient beings.

I have the concept of entities down. I see where you are going as the two would certainly seem to go hand in hand.

This idea of actions in themselves reminded me of an article I read by John Ridpath entitled “Nietzsche and Individualism” that appeared in the February 1986 issue of The Objectivist Forum, the quote is from page 12.

Nietzsche repeatedly praised Heraclitus [the Greek philosopher, c. 500 B.C.] as “the great dark philosopher,” as a man who possessed “the highest powers of intuitive conception,” and Nietzsche’s metaphysics is, in essence, the Heraclitean view of reality. Reality is, Nietzsche writes: “The eternal and exclusive Becoming, the total instability of all reality, which continually works and never is, as Heraclitus teaches.”

At the base of such a world, there cannot be, and are not, according to Nietzsche, any entities, facts, or things. Such notions, Nietzsche tells us, are “articles of faith.” There is no “being” behind the doing, “the doing is everything.” “What is basic is not that which acts, but activity itself.” There is, Nietzsche is claiming, change without entities that change, a change of nothing into nothing. In essence, he is denying the axiom of identity.emphasis added

Nietzsche's error (and yours as well) is what I believe Ayn Rand at some point called the most critical and therefore the most dangerous metaphysical error, and that is accepting the Primacy of Consciousness over the Primacy of Existence. In other words, the idea that our minds/consciousness create reality as opposed to reality existing independent of our minds.