Objectivism Online Forum

Persuasive Speech On The Proper Role Of Government

Rate this topic

neolithic

Greetings,

I have to give a persuasive speech for my Public Speaking class and I have chosen to do it on the proper role of Government in a free society. It is an extemperaneous speech so there will not be any explict form of it written, but I would appreciate your comments on my the topics and points I intend to make.

Speech Outline:

1) Intro - Why do men need government at all?

- Protect Individual rights

- Legal Monopoly on force

2) What is the proper role of Government?

- Define and uphold objectively defined laws

- Protection from domestic violence (i.e. non-foreign)

- Protection from foreign violence

3) Examples of Government misuse

- Unwieldly and bloated tax-system

- Welfare

- Defining and endorsing religious functions

- Creationism in schools

- Defining marriage

- NASA

4) Conclusion

Obviously my speech is still in its infancy so I will ask again when it is nearer to completion. I intend to argue that our current Government has long since over-stepped its proper bounds that were laid forth in the Constitution. I intend to cite the founding fathers directly, the Constitution, Rand's Essay "The Nature of Government" from The Virtue of Selfishness, and perhaps a pro-capitalist source. I would appreciate input as to whether you all think I am missing any crucial points (I have a feeling that you will) but bare in mind that this is a very rough sketch, merely something to get the ball rolling. At the conclusion we are should have a what our teacher calls "A call to action". I am not really sure what the best way to go about that is as in this context I would be happy just to change a few peoples minds. Our teach insists that physical action must be called for. What would you all suggest?

The outline looks good.

It seems complete, except that it does not address "what government is not": i.e. an institution that helps the poor, etc. Not sure if one can and should even address it -- depends on the leght of the speech, and whther there is any follow-up discussion.

How long is the speech supposed to be? If you only have 10 minutes then you might want to focus on one or two aspects, instead of giving a very shallow outline of the whole thing. Otherwise it won't be too convincing, you could mention for example what the proper roles of the government are and then discuss one or two of those in a more detailed manner.