Objectivism Online Forum

Multiculturalism In Europe

Rate this topic

Maarten

I read a story out of Germany today, that is worse than the cartoon censorship...

Germany is going to host the World-Cup. A (legal) brothel put up a large billboard. It had the world-cup as a theme (I guess, aimed at visitors from around the world). Near the bottom of the advertisement, they had shown the flags of the countries taking part in the World Cup.

A group did not simply object, but threatened violence unless the flags of muslim countries were taken off the billboard. The brothel owner says...

First there were telephone threats of violence, then about 30 hooded protesters armed with knives and sticks turned up outside Pascha on Friday, the Koelner Stadt-Anzeiger newspaper reported.

[As for soccer, there's something even more weird. This translation of what Sadr (the Iraqi militant theocrat) thinks of soccer. In summary, he scolds muslims who like soccer, saying that they ought not to be doing stupid things like running after a ball! He says, the west and Israel give muslims these diversions to waste their time!]

Edited by softwareNerd

In the initial article you can find some links to other news messages. That MP they mention is pretty interesting, she's very critical of Islam as well, and in favor of free speech. It's kind of a shame that the only sounds of this nature come from the smaller minorities.

The irony of the situation of course is that all the tolerance is really not helping anything. But then, ignoring a problem like that is much easier than having to face it.

Edited by Maarten

• 3 weeks later...

This is pretty disgusting. I knew it was bad over here, but here beats that :homestar:

The stupid thing is that the lies she told about her identity were known for years, and only now that she has caused more controversy by taking a stand on the Danish cartoons issue is everyone crying about it.

I don't think it even matters anymore whether she got into the Netherlands on false pretenses or not, because I assume that almost everyone who wants to escape a country over there would try to increase their chances as much as possible given the too-strict immigration laws they have here.

This is sacrificing someone to appease those who would rather not have unlimited freedom of speech, and it is a sad, sad day for the Netherlands that it could happen with the full support of the population (well, around two-thirds to eighty percent, depending on the question).

You can read a lot about her on LGF if you want, she really is a rather special woman, and I hope she can go to the US now like she is planning to, it would be your gain and Europe's loss. Can't say that I blame her...

I'm reading a pretty good book on European multiculturalism right now. It's called "While Europe Slept," by Bruce Bawer (a right-wing gay man, believe it or not). It's about how Europe's insistence on tolerance for lesser cultures is leading to an Islamic revolution on the continent. Check it out if you get the chance.

Edited by Moose

• 4 weeks later...

One addition from me.

This does not cover Eastern Europe. Slavic Post-Soviet countries do not have those tolerative attitudes towards Muslims. (Maybe b/c they are closed to them? A good part of Soviet Russia included some cultures closely related to and of Muslim. I've heard plenty of first-hand experiences of the people I've talked who lived near those parts of Russia to realise that the people were able to see the mentality Muslims possess)

• 2 weeks later...
This does not cover Eastern Europe. Slavic Post-Soviet countries do not have those tolerative attitudes towards Muslims. (Maybe b/c they are closed to them? A good part of Soviet Russia included some cultures closely related to and of Muslim. I've heard plenty of first-hand experiences of the people I've talked who lived near those parts of Russia to realise that the people were able to see the mentality Muslims possess)

It is good to know that individuals in Russia have this awareness because the Russian government really seems to drag their feet at the United Nations when it comes to dealing with Iran.

It is good to know that individuals in Russia have this awareness because the Russian government really seems to drag their feet at the United Nations when it comes to dealing with Iran.
Good point, Russian government is out of whack when it comes to internetional politics, I don't think it's out of Soviet Era just yet. (Many old 'friends' are still there, as well as the mind set).

Culture-wise however, Russians have no problems understanding Middle Eastern views and approaches. They personally see acts of aggresion every other year or so (bombings, hostages, etc.). Granted it comes from Chechnya, but it is about the same place as Middle East.

IMO, views I've seen in various Objectivist articles about Middle East go along the same route: "don't be nice with them, they won't get it, make sure they get it that violence will be responded with violence, since that's the language gangs/murderers speak"