Objectivism Online Forum

The Film Version Of A Novel Is Always A Disappointing Experience

Rate this topic

Brooke

Misery is as good a film as the book too (thanks to the inspired performance of kathy Bates). The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a perfect example of films that capture the essence of the books whilst removing all the 'fluff' that the author felt complelled to include.

Remember, when a film is based on a book the style of the original writing plays a part. It is difficult to express the thought-processes that are regularly stated in first-person perspective narration.

Also, if a person is watching a film after readin the book they may have a different visualisation of the characters/scenes/etc. from the director and producers...maybe even different from the writer at times. The success of translations of great books to the screen often depends on the, dare I say it, concensus of opinion regarding the accuracy of the portrayal of these themes.

Edited to expand on original reply.

Edited by Hakarmaskannar

LOL, sorry to be so unhelpfull, but I'm here to make another contribution to those stated: 101 Dalmations (the cartoon) is a lot better than the book. :lol: But I sympathize with your predicament-- it's extremely dificult to have to debate from a position that's in open conflict with the observable facts of reality. You could maybe take the position that this is "often" the case, but you're doomed to fail with the "always." Unless you attempt to define "better" by a completely arbitrary, subjective standard; such as, "Books are always better than movies, to me, because I hate movies. They hurt my eyes!" Um, but that would be a pretty weak position.

[Edit. How about this one-- Books are better than movies because there is very little chance of a book causing someone to have an epileptic seizure. For someone with epilepsy, the film version of a novel is a dissapointing experience, because they always have to fear losing consciousness, and it just spoils the whole thing. B) ]

[Edit 2. Ooh, you could say the book version of a novel is always a dissapointing experience for someone with a bad bladder, because they have to interrupt the movie at some point to go to the restroom. If it's a book, they can take it with them. B) ]

Edited by Bold Standard

To say that the book is even usually better than the movie is like saying that the book is usually better than the play.

A play is meant to be played on the stage, the solution men historically found, to present living drama before men's eyes, ultimately resulting in an unusually intense emotional experience, though the presentation of an idea is just as valid.

So that a movie is meant to be put on the screen, the solution men have found to bring a story the closest to men's eyes. Perhaps the closest men could ever come to something better is to find a way to play movies in one's dreams so that one can sleep while being entertained at the same time.

Jose Gainza.

Edited by AMERICONORMAN

Woah, trippy. There are two of this thread! (I saw that the other one only had three posts on it, and I thought mine got put in the garbage can for being too sarcastic, or something). :lol: I didn't think my suggested approaches were that bad. ^_~ <-- (I just learned that new emoticon. I think it's supposed to be an "anime" wink).

To say that the book is even usually better than the movie is like saying that the book is usually better than the play.

A play is meant to be played on the stage, the solution men historically found, to present living drama before men's eyes, ultimately resulting in an unusually intense emotional experience, though the presentation of an idea is just as valid.

So that a movie is meant to be put on the screen, the solution men have found to bring a story the closest to men's eyes. Perhaps the closest men could ever come to something better is to find a way to play movies in one's dreams so that one can sleep while being entertained at the same time.

Jose Gainza.

OOH, that's exactly what my dreams are like. That reminds me of the movie Until the End of the World. Seen it? (I think it's even based on a book!!)