Objectivism Online Forum

Hello everyone

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I'm very pleased to join this forum! I have been a long time reader and I have used the things I learned here and in Objectivist literature to good effect in my own life. I actually created an account with almost the same name before but I soon learned the mistake of putting a special character 'e' in the name. So a mod can delete the account 'Fëanor' if they wish.

I chose the name Feanor because I am a fan of fantasy. In Tolkien's Silmarillion Feanor was the greatest craftsman ever to live and he created the objects of the greatest beauty by capturing the light of the Two Trees of Valinor in the Silmarils. When the Trees were destroyed Feanor refused to let his creations be sacrificed to save the Trees. I like to think that this is like Man harnessing Nature and refusing to let his achievements be sacrificed to the "greater good" (environmentalism in this case). But I'm sure this isn't what Tolkien intended as he had many environmentalist views and he used the character to show what he thought were the consequences of selfish pride.

Anyway I look forward to contributing to the forum!

Feanor Posted Jan 17 2007, 04:55 PM

I chose the name Feanor because I am a fan of fantasy. In Tolkien's Silmarillion Feanor was the greatest craftsman ever to live and he created the objects of the greatest beauty by capturing the light of the Two Trees of Valinor in the Silmarils. When the Trees were destroyed Feanor refused to let his creations be sacrificed to save the Trees. I like to think that this is like Man harnessing Nature and refusing to let his achievements be sacrificed to the "greater good" (environmentalism in this case). But I'm sure this isn't what Tolkien intended as he had many environmentalist views and he used the character to show what he thought were the consequences of selfish pride.

Really interesting. I've enjoyed Tolkien as much as some others, it was an earlier admiration before discovering Rand. I've noticed recently myself the aspects which are pro-reason and con-reason in his works. I understand this to be common in most art and literature, and movies. And they have value in the contrast.

Most of all Tolkiens sense of life in the ability to take on evil and cause personal and global improvment are A1. The escapism into fantasy, and the environmentalism, not so much.

The movie scene near the end of Return of the King where Bilbo is about to embark on his 'final sea voyage' with the elves has a vista where the architecture is integrated with the landscape in such breathtaking elegance as to make me think of TF each time. There are many such examples but that for me was the most striking.

Welcome to OO