Objectivism Online Forum

Hello; I'm new here, obviously.

Rate this topic

Hey there, I found this place through my best friend. I'm here because I want to learn. I would type a longer hello, but I feel that what I've said is enough. I'm going to learn more than I could otherwise, which will make me content.

EDIT:

A bit of background, perhaps?

My first Ayn Rand book was Atlas Shrugged. I was discussing parts of Faith of the Fallen with my English teacher and she brought in her copy of AS for me to read. She said she doesn't agree with most of what's in it (a bit disheartening to me; I respect her. Still do, however), but at least she recognizes that students have to choose their own paths. So she has allowed me to borrow it. I just finished it, even though I've had it for a while. It's a good book, and now I'm reading The Fountainhead. I learned about Objectivism before I read Rand, through the best friend I mentioned - the one who brought me here. It took me a year to transform from immaturity to rationality, heh, but I thank him for teaching me so much. So that's why I'm here, so I can learn more about this philosophy, because I don't want to call myself an Objectivist until I learn sufficiently. What is sufficient, I don't know. I'll find out.

Hi Corrine,

Welcome to the board. (Can I say that even though I'm a "novice"?)

You're lucky to have an English teacher who would turn you onto Atlas Shrugged, regardless of what she thinks of it. One of my English teachers in high school told my friend she would "grow out of it" when the friend was reading Atlas. :rolleyes:

I encourage you to keep reading Ayn Rand's writing once you finish with her fiction. Such books as Philosophy: Who Needs It and The Virtue of Selfishness really helped me understand Objectivism (and philosophy) when I was in your position. While I think there are many honest and helpful people on this board, there is no substitute for reading about Objectivism on your own. (And it's not always easy to tell who the honest and helpful ones are until you have an understanding of the philosophy yourself.)

Hey there, I found this place through my best friend.

Welcome to the board, Corinne! Tell your unnamed friend thanks from me for getting you here. :D

Ramare--

Welcome to the board. (Can I say that even though I'm a "novice"?)

No. It's against the rules. Only full-fledged "members" can welcome the newbies. :P

I suggest a new rule: only admins and moderators can greet new members - and if someone who's not an admin. or mod. gets caught greeting someone, his punishment will be to greet every new member in this forum for the rest of his life. :D

How about if people state their preferences and volunteer to greet accordingly. I know several young men who would like to be official greeters for new single female members. ;)