Objectivism Online Forum

Hippie Here

Rate this topic

Hello, all. I'm Adam, I spend most of my year in Boston at Brandeis University but come home to Florida in the summer. I have majors in philosophy and history, and I intend to get a masters in philosophy at NYU. I may tack on a major in Spanish if I can work it in. I will be studying in Israel during the coming spring. I like to travel and have been to Britain, France, Canada, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Greece, and Switzerland. I would truly like to go to Spain (ironically, I speak Spanish and Hebrew and I have neither been to a Spanish-speaking nation nor Israel) and Portugal. I’ve read 95% of Rand’s material but I’m currently re-reading all of her non-fiction as well as The Fountainhead. I’ve already packed away Atlas Shrugged. I name myself Hippie because I have long hair, I wear tye-dye, and listen to 60's rock.

Yes, I suppose I am an incomplete hippie.

I must ask, your quote from Thomas Jefferson implies a belief in god. Now, I know from having read his works that Jefferson believed human rights came from both God and human nature, seperately--and that each source was sufficient on its own to prove human rights. However, it is still a bit of an unexpected quote from an Objectivist. Do you believe in god?

No.

But I think this is a beautiful expression. I also use Thank God, and Oh My God sometimes.

Ayn Rand once said in an interview that she thanked God for America, and that while she did not mean an actual God, she liked that expression.

I know some Objectivist switch Zeus for God. Like "Thanks Zeus". I think it's a funny way to make a point, but I don't use it. Anyway - this is a Jefferson's quote, and he did not believe in the Christian god, but in a philosophic force behind everything, a Deist God, which while redundant, is not as bad as an interventionist God.