I voted for #1 based on what I thought you intended, but I wonder how the voting would have come out if the second question were phrased differently (or perhaps, if the first question had referred to aspects that you have “studied and understood”).
Thank you for drawing attention to that. You beat me to the punch. I hope you don’t mind if I include, in my comments below, a repetition of your point.
So far, the poll results suggest the possibility that only about 55-60% of the participants in ObjectivismOnline.net are Objectivists.
[…]
About half [of all posts/ communications] are information exchanged between Objectivists (at varying levels of knowledge, which is good for trade), and the other half are contention with non-Objectivists.
I get the impression that you are converting the results of the poll (which has several categories) into just two categories. The first category is: “Yes, [i agree] completely, in every element that I have studied.”
I would like to draw attention to a couple of possibilities:
-
Some people who choose “Yes, [i agree] completely, in every element that I have studied” might have not studied very much.
-
Some people who choose some other option in the poll might have studied more than they have fully understood.
Now, “studied more than they have fully understood” might sound like an insult, so I will try to draw attention to one more point.
A synonym of “agree” is “assent”. The only alternative to “assent” is “dissent”. However, according to Answers.com, “dissent” (as a verb) has two possible meanings:
A. To differ in opinion or feeling; disagree.
B. To withhold assent or approval.
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that:
A. belongs in the Debate Forum, but
B. can appear in various places on the message board, with the more elementary issues to be confined to the Questions about Objectivism subforum. The description says: “Basic questions for those new to the philosophy of Objectivism.” However, just as there are people who have been playing chess for more than two years, but who are still beginners in the sense of skill level, perhaps there are also people who not literally “new” to Objectivism, but who nevertheless have elementary questions.