Does a work of art speak for itself or must one’s esthetic evaluation of it take into consideration the artist’s intended “message”?
That’s an interesting question, and one with which I have struggled with recently. My thoughts are not totally sorted out on it, but I can hopefully offer a rough outline of what I have been thinking.
Firstly, I think that when evaluating art it is important to throw out most of the 20th century criticism movements that attempt to judge art from some particular perspective (usually politicized), i.e. New Historicism, Structuralism, Post-Structuralism, Multiculturalism, Marxism, Feminism, etc. As Harold Bloom modifies a famous quote by Dr. Samuel Johnson in How to Read and Why: “clear your mind of academic cant. A university culture where the appreciation of Victorian women’s underwear replaces the appreciation of Charles Dickens and Robert Browning sounds like the outrageousness of a new Nathanael West…”
That said, the etymology of the word aesthetic is Greek and relates to perception, or things perceptible through the senses. I tend to believe that a work of art can be judged on a purely aesthetic merit in addition to its message. That is to say, one can disagree with an artwork’s message yet still find value in its more sensual elements. For instance, there are many writers that disgust me philosophically yet write astounding prose or poetry. The metaphorical skill of Proust deserves some credit, whatever Proust’s philosophical shortcomings were. George Crumb’s composition “A Haunted Landscape” amounts to a near total rejection of the more harmonic and melodic elements of Baroque and Romantic era music, yet it has some artistic merit in its ability to recreate the eerie feeling of a haunted landscape through a pointed stimulation of the senses.
As for the history question, I also disagree with the various and sundry movements that attempt to evaluate art through the lens of history. A critic from such a point of view may say, for example, that Rand was a reaction to 20th century collectivism and communism and Voltaire was a reaction to the injustices of France in the 18th century. I wouldn’t say that an investigation of an artist’s contemporary period is unimportant, but I would say that there is more to understanding or judging a work of art than contextualizing it within its historic period. Such a view makes little sense anyhow, since great art tends to be perpetually relevant to man’s condition on earth.
Bloom also writes in How to Read and Why that “you are more than an ideology, whatever your convictions”, which seems to echo Shakespeare’s Hamlet: “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” These may or may not be disagreeable quotes within the Objectivist community, but there is a point to be made: philosophy is abstract, and humans must act in the world according to their philosophical abstractions, whatever they may be. Rand writes in The Fountainhead that “we live in our minds, and existence is the attempt to bring that life into physical reality, to state it in gesture and form.” Perhaps she was talking about her own book, since the quote seems to be a pertinent description of art. Regardless, there is a certain pleasure to be found in the discovery of how an artist translates his abstractions into existence, irrespective of philosophical content. I have found through experience that approaching an artwork from a particular formulaic mindset will prevent one from enjoying it on an aesthetic basis, assuming its message is disagreeable.