I would agree that emotions don’t always originate in the mind. Hunger is a good example. Sex probably qualifies aswell. However, I disagree that emotions or desires do not end in the mind. I think that they do.
What I meant was more along these lines.. A deep sadness might originate in your mind, but the end result might be that you break into tears. I would argue that crying is part of the experience of “being sad.” In the same way, joy might cause a person to laugh, uncontrollably. As long as the emotion is there, the physiological experience will proceed naturally.
I don’t see any reason to divorce emotions from their physical manifestations. They are “body” and “mind,” as far as I can tell. Also, emotions are automatic. If you’ve accepted certain premises, and you’re in a specific situation, you will feel such and such emotion, and your only choice is to experience it, or try and repress it.
I don’t think hunger is an emotion; it’s a directly sensorial experience that can trigger emotions, but it’s not itself an emotion.
I was using “hunger” to mean “the desire for food.”
Obvious to whom? It’s not obvious to ME.
Ok, I shouldn’t have said it like that. : )
A sensation of pain in the stomach and saliva in the mouth doesn’t tell you what your body needs or why. You can never desire a food or even food in general until you’ve encountered it at least once AND observed it satisfying your needs adequately. Your body “needs”, your mind “wants”. Your body needs protein so your mind wants a steak. If you don’t eat steak, you’ll probably want fish or something else.
Why do you limit hunger to the mere sensation of pain in the stomach and saliva in the mouth? Hunger is a physiological experience-- not just out-of-context sensations. Lots of things could make your stomach hurt and your mouth salivate that would not add up to an experience of hunger. As I said, emotions “do involve the mind and values.”
It just seems to me that your choice of words, “Desire isn’t something your body inflicts on your mind . . . desires arise in the mind and your body responds to them,” seems to suggest, to me, a kind of mind-body split. I know you don’t believe in that, but taken literally, that’s how I think it sounds.
My point in mentioning hunger is this: Hunger is not something that your mind merely invents, and your body responds to. Not if you accept the primacy of existence. Hunger begins with the physical experience, and your mind automatically grasps that what it wants is food-- assuming you’re a rational adult, and you’ve learned what food is, etc. All emotions are the result of similar subconscious “programming” that usually originates in some conscious act that you’ve automatized in various ways. What I’m getting at is that desire can’t exist in the body apart from the mind. And it can’t exist in the mind apart from the body. Man is an integrated entity-- body and mind.
As this all applies to sex, I’m not decided. I was only commenting on your generalizing to all desires originating in the mind. If desire is a conscious pursuit of some value, I would agree with you. But I usually understand desire to mean an emotional experience of wanting some value, which might include some physical and mental aspects.