17 hours ago, 2046 said:
I would just say, not all consciousness has to be the same kind of consciousness.
Right, that did cross my mind when I wrote the OP.
One thing that I would like to be able to say here is that there’s a concept of “consciousness on the human level” which is convertible with some of 1-11. For example, we might think that “reason” is convertible with “consciousness on the human level.” I didn’t say that because “consciousness on the human level” sounds more like a cross-classification than an actual distinct concept.
Like, what’s the difference between that and just substituting any conscious organism for X in “consciousness on the X level?” Why say “the human level” and not just state that humans have concepts, propositional thought, reason, and all of the other components of human consciousness?
Aristotle’s concept of the rational soul might be of use here.
Quote
I don’t think your grouping of free will in with the “convertible” group works. If free will is the same as consciousness, then wouldn’t animals have the same type of will as humans? I don’t think they do. Surely a cockroach and a human have different levels of consciousness.
I’m influenced by Binswanger there. Consciousness is metaphysically active. If an entity is just pulled along by external forces, and has no capacity to initiate its own thought or action, it is not conscious. This is why I don’t think computers are conscious. So I’d say either cockroaches aren’t conscious (in other words, they are little robots), or they have some limited capacity to make free choices.
Quote
The “free” in free will is supposed to be contrasted with impediments or determination in some way, which is already at a different level of discussion. The word volition based on the Latin voluntas seems a better fit, for the idea of the principal of motion originating from within the sensory mechanism.
What’s the distinction you’re drawing between free will and volition? I’ve always used those terms as synonyms.
Quote
Secondly I would add something like pain and pleasure for consideration. Is pain axiomatic? Or desire or inclination? Are the consciousnesses without these? Or maybe they belong in the second grouping?
This is interesting. I think the concept of a goal (or desire or inclination) has to be related to the concept of reason, because reason is goal directed. So I think those concepts are likely axiomatic as well. I can’t personally make that case for pain or pleasure.