Hello everyone;
Except Victor Hugo and Edmond Rostand, do other french authors had influence Ayn Rand’s fictional esthetic?
Hello everyone;
Except Victor Hugo and Edmond Rostand, do other french authors had influence Ayn Rand’s fictional esthetic?
Max,
The ethical theory of one French philosopher was unusually similar to Rand’s ethical theory. She did not address this philosopher and may not have known much of him. Guyau and Rand.
In French literature, Rand saw some merit to the novels of Alexander Dumas in plot structures, but superficiality in the values pursued by the characters and motivating their action. “What Is Romanticism?” (1969)
The Mysterious Valley, a story she read in a French magazine as a child, may have been the most important literary influence of her life.
(I’m sorry if my english is too bad)
Unfortunately Guyau is forgotten in France, Guyau and Rand are similar concerning an individual morale without God, I’ve already read some quotes from this french author.
I think the success of Ayn Rand was spreading her ideas by the fictionnal way, like Victor Hugo did in the 19th century.
I’ve only read entirely The Fountainhead in french, I didnt read the all story of Atlas shrugged but i have the book, it looks like a Dumas book by the thickness of this book with over 1000 pages.
To Reidy, I didn’t know about the existence of this book, thank you!