Beethoven's 9th SYmphony and Schiller's Ode to Joy

I recently have been obsessed over Beethoven’s 9th and Schiller’s Ode to Joy, and have become itnerested with the whole idea of brotehrhood. At the same time I have begun to read Ayn Rand’s work and philosophy. The first calls for universal brotehrhood, while the second calls for individualism and rational self-interest. However can there be any clear, solid coherence between the two?? My answer is: yes, because one would have to be interact peacefully and graciously towards one another in order to bring about progress. What do you guys think! (I’m aware that my opinion is lacking support for the moment, and if people show interest in this post I’ll put on more explanation!)

You’re going to have to define “universal brotherhood” before we can discuss whether or not it is compatible with individualism and rational self-interest.

Beethoven’s 9th is one of the great works of Western art…make that of art, period. Concentrate on the MUSICAL excellence of the work…its power, its expressiveness and incredibly high level of technical achievement. To deprive yourself of this amazing music because of the message of the text of the final movement would be a serious mistake.

By the way, for what it is worth, most classical musicians consider the final movement to be the weakest of the four, an opinion in which I concur. The first three movements are what make this symphony truly great.

Best regards,

Ken