British Comedies

I liked The Office.

Been a little while since I’ve followed them so I’m missing out on the current good ones.

Loved Black Adder and Fawlty Towers.

Think the Jeeves and Wooster series are among the best comic television ever as well as being among the true book to screen adaptations. Woodhouse’s ability to turn a phrase is nothing short of genius.

Now that’s what I call a DEAD PARROT!  :slight_smile:

Hahaha! :wink:

Monty Python RULES!

I think I’ve watched The Life of Brian more than 10 times, and The Holy Grail more than 20.

Oh, yeah and - NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!! :smiley:

Loved Black Adder and Fawlty Towers.

I was recently introduced to Fawlty Towers, and the episode I saw was quite funny.

“british comedies?”

I didnt know the British were funny. Hmm…you learn something new everyday.

The British aren’t funny?! Have you never heard one of them speak?!

I love to watch As Time Goes By…the humor is very different from American comedies. There aren’t a lot of episodes of this one, but I think Judy Denche (spelling?) is a fantastic actress and is very fun to watch.

I love to watch As Time Goes By…the humor is very different from American comedies. There aren’t a lot of episodes of this one, but I think Judy Denche (spelling?) is a fantastic actress and is very fun to watch.

I like that show as well. The actor who plays Nigel (I think that’s his name, it’s been a while since I’ve watched it) is also very good.

I like “The new Statesman” and “Black Adder.”

my husband, who’s british, introduced me to Monty Python…my favorite is “life of brian”. i also like “keeping up appearances” and watch it when i can. hyacynth reminds me of an aunt i have. someone highly recommended “The Office” as the funniest show on tv…but i havent watched it as i dont have BBC America. one of my favorite movies is Trainspotting. from all the british shows/movies i’ve seen…and from knowing my husband…british humor is certainly more witty and sarcastic. as he likes to say “sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence”.

someone highly recommended “The Office” as the funniest show on tv…but i havent watched it as i dont have BBC America.

The Office is hilarious, it is probably my favorite show on TV. Both the first and second seasons were recently released on DVD and I know BlockBuster carries them, so, no need for BBC America. If you like British Comedies these are a must see.

i also like “keeping up appearances” and watch it when i can. hyacynth reminds me of an aunt i have.

I feel for you if you have an aunt like Hyancinth.

Well, it was written by Kubrick, but Peter Sellers really makes the film fantastic; I honestly think “Dr. Strangelove” beats anything previously mentioned.

Best double-feature I ever saw:

First feature: Fail-Safe

Second feature: Dr. Strangelove

I love Ab Fab. The party hound/public relations mother character is funny on so many levels.

I’m going to have to look into some of the other ones people have listed here.

Although James Bond movies are not comedies, there is quite an amount of truly excellent humor in them. I especially love the parts where Bond defeats a bad guy in funny way.

I was just introduced to Coupling last week, watched the first few episodes, and thought it was often quite funny.

Just an observation: has anyone noticed that American shows which are based on British shows tend to be some of the most popular shows in television history? For example, Sanford and Son, All in the Family, Three’s Company, and Cosby were all based on shows imported from England.

“Cheers” and “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” were also “imports”.

It wasn’t a very good show overall, but there was a British sci-fi comedy series called “Red Dwarf” that had some funny bits.

Smeg!

My favourite British comedies are The Fast Show, Brasseye and Red Dwarf. Johnny Depp was in the Fast Show for a couple of episodes and Brasseye is probably the best Satire I’ve ever seen on television (it caused front page outrage when it was shown here the first time).

My favourite British comedies are The Fast Show . . .

If memory serves, it’s called “Brilliant!” in the U.S. for anyone interested. I haven’t seen it in a while, but I vaguely remember it being pretty funny.

Others I haven’t seen in a while but remember being quite funny are “The Young Ones” and “Are You Dave Gorman?”. TYO was good ol’ Brit sketch comedy from a chunk of years back. AYDG is more recent, and I remember it being a damn riot. Basically, this guy Dave Gorman made a bet with his flatmate that he could go meet 52 other guys in the world named Dave Gorman. The show only lasts a few episodes and it’s just DG putting on a presentation about his trip. I could see some people, even Britcom fans, not liking this, but I loved it. The guy’s a stitch.