British Comedies

I was curious if anyone else here enjoys British comedy? Many of them feature better quality writing and directing than their American counterparts and many of the stories are enjoyable to an Objectivist sense of life. In America, many of these series can be found on PBS.

Some of my favorites:

Keeping Up Appearances: The misadventures of Hayicinth Bucket (Patricia Routledge), who believes herself to be better than everybody else and yet tries to put on a persona of being humble. Meanwhile, her entire family is both poor and insane and she attempts to keep them away from those she believes will help her advance in society.

Are You Being Served?: The men’s and women’s departments of a London department store are forced to share a floor. Meanwhile, they join forces against unreasonable demands from bosses and customers.

Waiting For God: an elderly man and woman fight against sterotypes of the elderly and against a nursing home manager who only wishes them to die.

Last of the Summer Wine: The longest running comedy series in the world. Three elderly men relive their childhood in Yorkshire with hilarious results.

I was curious if anyone else here enjoys British comedy?

I thought that Michael Frayn’s Noises Off was hysterically funny, and quite clever.

We used to get Are You Being Served? sometime back. It was really awesome :slight_smile:

dinesh.

After watching a Monty Python movie I vowed never to watch a British comedy again. I broke that vow a couple of years ago while watching Absolutely Fabulous. It’s halarious.

I haven’t seen either in quite a while, but I really enjoyed both Red Dwarf and Black Adder.

My recommendations: Black Adder, Mr. Bean, Fawlty Towers, the “Jeeves” series.

Is it true that some objectivists reject humour and comedy because they find it to be irrational?

Is it true that some objectivists reject humour and comedy because they find it to be irrational?

I DON’T!

In fact, I regard humor as a high conceptual art and one of life’s rewards for actuve, independent thinking.

See my discussion of humor at http://www.speicher.com/humor.htm

I loved “Yes Minister” and “Yes Prime Minister.”

Because they laugh at english politicians. I like jokes that laugh at politicians in general.

I really enjoyed both Red Dwarf and Black Adder.

MinorityOfOne speaks for me.

After watching a Monty Python movie I vowed never to watch a British comedy again. I broke that vow a couple of years ago while watching Absolutely Fabulous. It’s halarious.

Are you kidding? Monty Python has produced some of the most intelligent, satirical humor yet. Just watch their Life of Brian to get a sense of how clever they are. And who can forget the greatest pro-choice song ever made; none other than “Every Sperm is Sacred.”

IMO Monty Python is some of the best comedy ever produced.

QUOTE=stephen_speicher,May 10 2004, 05:01 PM] I thought that Michael Frayn’s Noises Off was hysterically funny, and quite clever.

That’s one of my favorite plays ever!

The American movie starring John Ritter and Carol Burnett is also fantastic.

P.S. I also really love the series Coupling. It’s kind of like Friends, except there’s a lot more innuendo, it’s not cheesy and everyone has a British accent. :slight_smile:

A Fish Called Wanda

A Fish Called Wanda

I didn’t know that was British.

It’s one of my favorite movies. Kevin Kline is always good!

Are you kidding? Monty Python has produced some of the most intelligent, satirical humor yet. Just watch their Life of Brian to get a sense of how clever they are. And who can forget the greatest pro-choice song ever made; none other than “Every Sperm is Sacred.”

IMO Monty Python is some of the best comedy ever produced.

MONTY PYTHON! YES! How could I have forgotten that one?

That’s one of my favorite plays ever!

The American movie starring John Ritter and Carol Burnett is also fantastic.

Thanks for mentioning that. I did not know it was made into a movie. I will look for it.

Now that’s what I call a DEAD PARROT! :smiley:

VES

“Coupling” is funny.

Fawlty Towers is unbeatable.

Yes Minister and Yes, Prime Minister were written by James Callaghan’s (ex-Brit PM) son-in-law, himself a respected political journalist who knew very well of what he spoke.

British Crime, Court, Mystery shows are great too…very rarely a car chase or gun shot in any of them.

Brent

i LOVE absolutely Fabulous…

and are you being served, monty python… CHEF! i remember watching that one a few years back when i was working at a local restaurant…

British TV also gave us Nigella Lawson (how to be a domestic goddess) and the original ‘what not to wear’ which is a guilty pleasure of mine…

I’ve also enjoyed You Rang, My Lord?