What is your favorite comedy?

It would seem we do not have a survey for this, at least I could not find one after digging around for a while for one. So me being the curious person I am, I will ask this myself:

What is your favorite comedy and why?

Mine is Monty Python. Why? Well, I quite like that it pokes such glaring fun at historical events (and people from history), silly human habits etc. I like this sort of silly, often random humour. I quite enjoy that you often (at least upon first viewing) do not know what to expect next.

  • Black Adder
  • Fawlty Towers
  • Seinfeld
  • Curb your Enthusiasm
  • Black Adder

  • Fawlty Towers

  • Seinfeld

  • Curb your Enthusiasm

The first three of those are all on my top ten list (except for the last one which I have never seen).

I like Black Adder, primarily because it takes such a silly stab at history, and I also like the sort of sarcastic humour it employs.

I like Fawlty Towers because it is just so outrageous, the main characters are all insane (except perhaps for poor Polly), and because it it just so silly… I guess it is similar to Monty Python in this regard.

Seinfeld, well it takes a humourous stab at some of the stupid things people think and the stupid things they say and do. And the characters are so neurotic…

I’m a big fan of comedy. I like pretty much everything.

-Simpsons

-Southpark

-Seinfeld

-Al Bundy

-King of Queens

-Dilbert

-…

Monty Python is hilarious.

My favourite comedian is George Carlin.

People tend to tell me that I don’t take things serious (which is not true), because whenever someone mentions a new idea to me, I always have a parody of it in my head. Looks like it is one reason I like quotations so much. Many of them are funny when applied at the right moment. It keeps your head clear because you are not too attached to a certain viewpoint. And: It’s fun. :wacko:

I’m a fan of Family Guy and the adult swim on Cartoon Network. An old favorite of mine was In Living Color when it had Damon Wayans, David Allen Grear, and Jim Carrey on the show. They had alot of talented comedians start out on that program. George Carlin is a comedic genius whose career has been greatly underappriecated. My favorite comedian would have to be a toss up between George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, and Richard Pryor.

I’m a fan of Family Guy . . .

I think Family Guy is a damn riot. Though the show sometimes ends with or contains bad ethics, the writers do a great job of presenting the idiocy of idiocy in a humorous way. For example, in the episode “Wasted Talent” (I think), Lois spends the entire episode having Peter get drunk because when he’s drunk he’s a piano virtuoso and she wants one of her students to finally win a contest. At the end of the episode, when Lois is regretting her actions, Peter says (paraphrasing):

“Actually, Lois, I think the lesson here is that you should just do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences.” :lol:

“Actually, Lois, I think the lesson here is that you should just do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences.” :lol:

I think the quote was more like “Lois, the lesson here is that abusing alcohol has absolutely no consequences.” Then they cut to Peter’s one surviving brain cell, alone in his head, who is now ecstatic that he has time to read without interference from all the other brain cells. Then his glasses fall off and break, in a parody of a classic episode of the Twilight Zone.

In case you hadn’t guessed, I’m also a big Family Guy fan. It had so many jaw-dropping “I can’t believe I just saw something that bizarre on TV” moments, and if one joke doesn’t work there will be another coming along in about two seconds.

Futurama is also a favorite. It’s like the Simpsons for science-fiction fans, but with a more consistent level of quality.

Black Adder is fun, as is the British SF series Red Dwarf. Monty Python is classic fall-down-funny.

I was a fan of the American version of Whose Line Is It Anyway? up until I’d seen all of them several times.

Does anybody else here like Wallace and Gromit?

I’m a big fan of comedy. I like pretty much everything.

-Simpsons

-Southpark

-Seinfeld

-Al Bundy

-King of Queens

-Dilbert

-…

Monty Python is hilarious.

My favourite comedian is George Carlin.

People tend to tell me that I don’t take things serious (which is not true), because whenever someone mentions a new idea to me, I always have a parody of it in my head. Looks like it is one reason I like quotations so much. Many of them are funny when applied at the right moment. It keeps your head clear because you are not too attached to a certain viewpoint. And: It’s fun. :lol:

Well I also really like Simpsons. I literally do not anyone that to my knowledge does not like this show. Im sure just like here, you guys constanlty have it rerunning all the time on at least one channel.

Personally Im not sure I like King of Queens, but then again I have seen about half an episode of this I think. Could you remind me of some of the details of this, and why you like it?

Dilbert, of course! Being an often sarcastic computer nerd, one would think I like this. We dont get this show here anymore for some reason. But the comic series is better anyway.

Personally Im not sure I like King of Queens, but then again I have seen about half an episode of this I think. Could you remind me of some of the details of this, and why you like it?

It’s about a nice but rather stupid guy (who somehow managed to have a gorgeous wife (or is she his girlfriend?)) who lives together with her and his father-in-law who manages to drive the other two nuts.

His name is Arthur and he is my favourite character in this series. Hm. Why do I like it? As I already said, my favourite is Arthur. I like his strange way of doing things and how he constantly annoys the other two. I don’t find any deeper reasons, sorry. :lol:

It’s about a nice but rather stupid guy (who somehow managed to have a gorgeous wife (or is she his girlfriend?)) who lives together with her and his father-in-law who manages to drive the other two nuts.

His name is Arthur and he is my favourite character in this series. Hm. Why do I like it? As I already said, my favourite is Arthur. I like his strange way of doing things and how he constantly annoys the other two. I don’t find any deeper reasons, sorry. :lol:

Oh, it is starting to come back to me a little. I think I will have to watch an episode of this one day when it comes on again if I want to make a more informed decision. Thanks anyway.

Favorite TV shows: Family Guy (most laughs per minute), The Simpsons (most consistently funny show ever), South Park (the greatest modern satire), Seinfeld (no show is more clever).

Favorite movies: Mr. Deeds (extremely benevolent humor), Happy Gilmore (one of the few comedies that I’ve seen a million times and which still makes me laugh), Naked Gun (the only funny slapstick…well, besides Airplane), American Pie (what can I say…even toilet humor works once in a while), The Postman (not technically a comedy, but so bad it’s funny), Dumb and Dumber (didn’t like it at first, but it turns out that it gets funnier every time you see it).

Favorite comedians: Ellen Degeneris (very funny…and benevolent), Mitch Hedberg (my personal favorite…although I’m still mad at him for dying of a drug overdose), Chris Rock (the only person I can stand who does racial humor).

I don’t watch television any more (I don’t have one) but I did used to enjoy The Simpsons. My favorite episode, bar none, was the James Bond parody where Homer gets hired by Mr. Scorpio. I liked it primarily because it’s one of the few episodes that showed Homer making rational decisions and actually benefitting from them, plus the wonderful hyperactive boss that turns out to be a megalomaniac was just too funny for words.

I also love King of the Hill. “That boy ain’t right.”

Pretty much any sitcom just seems stupid to me now, assuming it didn’t when I first saw it.

One of my all time favorite comedy movies is The Ref with Dennis Leary and Kevin Spacey. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, as well as Life of Brian are up there as well. I’m proud to say I crossed a picket line of religious zealots to see Life of Brian in the theater. :lol: “How shall we f— off oh lord?”

I’m with Jennifer on King of the Hill, great show. “Bobby, if you weren’t my son I’d hug ya’.”

Lately I’ve enjoyed the showtime comedies, Weeds and Barbershop the Series. But I guess my favorite comedy is Dead Like Me. For a show about grim reapers and death, it’s actually pretty life affirming.

I like HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is very akin to Seinfeld for obvious reasons (Larry David).

I have to add that my favorite exchange between Hank and Bobby on King of the Hill is;

Bobby: Daddy, can I put a gun rack on my bike?

Hank: Son, you don’t know how long I’ve been waitin’ for you to ask me that.

I think the quote was more like “Lois, the lesson here is that abusing alcohol has absolutely no consequences.” Then they cut to Peter’s one surviving brain cell, alone in his head, who is now ecstatic that he has time to read without interference from all the other brain cells. Then his glasses fall off and break, in a parody of a classic episode of the Twilight Zone.

Thanks, that sounds more like it. Regarding the parody, I wasn’t aware of that particular one, and often wonder how many references like that I’m not getting.

Generally, I like social satire. I do not like scatological humor or “humor” based on cruelty.

“South Park” has some episodes which are quite good and others which stink.

I especially like the movie “Mannequin” (1987) with Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall (but not the sequel). It is a beautiful romance in a department store after-hours.

http://www.fast-rewind.com/mannequin.htm

I also like “Dogma”.

Office Space, for sure. For anyone who has ever worked in a cubicle, this is a must see.

Some close runners up include Spaceballs, History of the World Part 1, Trading Places and Coming to America. Recent funny movies include The 40 Year Old Virgin and Wedding Crashers.

The Family Guy tops my list of television shows. I don’t particularily like a similar show called All American Dad. It’s humor is ruined by its advertizements for the liberal bandwagon.

Other shows include The Daily Show and The Cobair Report. The liberal bandwagon advertisments on these shows don’t seem to destroy the humor for me. I love Cobairs “The Word” segment. I also liked the Daily Show’s old “Even Steven” segment, even though it was extremely Juvinile.

I like the Simpsons, King of the Hill and King of Queens. The other day I was watching In Living Color on BET. I hadn’t seen it for ages! They played the episode where Jim Carey impersonates Vanilla Ice and does a whole singining/dance number of Ice Ice Baby. It had my husband rolling with laughter! He’d never seen the show before and was loving it. I guess we’ll be watching it a lot more often now.

Celebrity DeathMatch has its moments.

Monty Python movies, plus the TV series. Holy Grail still makes me laugh, even after seeing it about 100 times.

The old SCTV TV series. It was uneven, with some clunkers, but frequently brilliant. (“Would you like some…SYRUP?”) John Candy is one of those comedians that can make me laugh just by looking at him, because you can always sense he’s just on the verge of saying/doing something hilarious.

…Same deal with Steve Martin – I was a big fan as a kid and Steve was a WILD AND CRAZY GUY. Obviously, considering these two reasons, I loved “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” – best movie both of them ever made.

Simpsons, sometimes. (Favorite Simpsons’ line, from Moe: “You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society.”) Futurama, sometimes. Family Guy, sometimes. Seinfeld was good; I think it was one of the few shows that ever jumped the shark, and then managed to come back.

I always enjoyed the Cosby Show. Even more now, 20 years later. Maybe because I have kids, and aspire to be as good a parent as Heathcliff Huxtable.

(Oddly, with the sometimes exception of Ellen DeGeneres, I hardly ever laugh at female comedians. I can’t figure out why. I think it’s just the material – only a small proportion of comedians are female, and I only ever think a small proportion of comedians are funny, so there’s an uphill statistical battle there.)

There tons of others, including some extremely obscure moments (From Mystery Men: “I’m the Shoveler. It’s what I do, dear… I shovel”). Funniest unintentionally funny movie line: “Magma?” (Tommy Lee Jones, in “Volcano”, who, as the director of FEMA managing the eruption of a Volcano in downtown LA, has never heard of “magma”.)

Most recently, I’ve chuckled quite a few times at that new show “My Name is Earl”.

OFFICE SPACE was freaking hilarious. There used to be another guy at work who was a big fan of it, and we would quote Lumburg’s lines back and forth. “I’m afraid I’m going to have to go ahead and… disagree with you on that a little bit.”

MYSTERY MEN was obscure, but also funny. William H. Macey is one of my favorite character actors. He’s always in the background, just pulling in that paycheck. The fact that I have a soft spot for silly superhero stories doesn’t hurt either. (Anybody else a fan of “The Tick”? Spoooooooon!)