Hello all!
This is my first post on the forum which I have started to like alot.
Without any prior education in philosophy I’ve done alot of reading ever since the idea of selfishness struck a chord with me. Now I have a comprehensive view of the philosophy.
There is one thing I don’t understand however, and that is how Objectivism would be able to explain the experience of sexual attraction. The idea is that judgements made by our rational faculty is the cause of emotions, correct? Well growing up I never concluded that a certain type of appearance among girls would be good or bad for me, and then became attracted - with all that goes along with that e.g. the body’s almost mechanical reaction and the emotional rollercoaster and what have you. I’m pretty convinced it all started as soon as the girls my age were starting to grow up, and it didn’t take a rational evaluation of them.
Nowadays there is alot going through my mind whenever I’m with a gorgeous woman such as some nervousness and all that but that’s not what I’m talking about. I mean the almost mechanical, automatic respone to attractive women’s appearance (and whatever the other senses pick up as well) that gets your heart beating faster, sweat, and basically gets your body ready for sex. That response is caused by something, the only question is what?
The only explanation I can come up with is that we, because of evolution, have a natural drive to start procreating as quickly and effectively as possible so as to ensure the genes survival. We are born hard-wired to want certain characteristics in other humans (The opposite sex, usually). But that would mean humans have automatic physiological responses not tied to themselves as the standard but to the genes as the standard of the good, which noone here belives exists. All automatic physiological responses are for the continued survival of the individual animal, you say. Objectivism makes alot of sense on every topic except this one.
I can simplify this with one question: Why am I attracted?
Thanks for any comments.