Hi there, this is my first post here- I actually joined this site purely to ask some other Objectivists this question, get some help from people that may understand my values, as I’ve been an Objectivist for about 3-4 years now.
So, almost two years ago, I met a girl, named Sara, freshman year of college. She was one of the first people I met, and we got along splendidly. Not long after I befriended her, I found out she was a lesbian, with a girlfriend. This didn’t bother me at all, as we were just friends. Over time, our friendship deepened- we spent all of our time together, she broke up with her girlfriend about halfway through the school year, and by around Spring I had developed feelings for her. We could discuss anything together, I spoke to her of Rand and introduced her to Fountainhead and her sense of wonder and discovery when reading it was extraordinarily reminiscent of my own. We shared virtually all of the same values, we shared our lives together throughout the year. I knew the problem, I didn’t believe I would ever be able to start a romantic relationship with her, but I didn’t care- I was too damn happy with her, I couldn’t find myself attracted to any other woman for that entire year.
As the year was ending, she had sex with another girl. She felt awful about it, she didn’t tell me about it for a week, and cried very much that night. I believe it’s because she believes the same principles that I did, that having sex should be an important thing based on strong values, but she didn’t even like this girl’s personality, she just thought she was pretty. She felt awful about it, and needless to say, so did I. But after her night with this girl, for some reason, she didn’t find her attractive anymore. I chalked it up to her learning a lesson by means of experience, as her sexual experience with the girl was one she heavily regretted.
Summer came around. We were still best friends, I still hadn’t told her how I felt. We texted each other and talked every day. Midway through the summer, she started dating another girl. I found out through Facebook. The girl that Sara had slept with had introduced them. I felt like a fool. The two of them had a complicated relationship that I view with disgust still. For much time, Sara was convinced that she wanted to date her based on mutual values, as we had agreed upon. The very first time I talked to her about it, I discovered that she really didn’t share any values with her, and there were plenty of things that bothered each other. Sara rather quickly realized that she didn’t really like anything about her, except that she thought she was hot. She agreed she should break up with her.
The next school year began. Sara’s girlfriend helped her move in the first day. I hung out with both of them, but whenever I was there, Sara would almost completely ignore her girlfriend because her and I got along so much better. She complained of how she believed her girlfriend was a boring person, but she would flip-flop between saying that she thought she was a great person and a really normal person. I believe she was trying to justify it to herself so she wouldn’t feel like some sort of slut, but going by Objectivism, I believed that facing the damn facts was the real solution. Midway through the year, I had enough of her sleeping with this girl while we spent literally all of our time together- I view sex as an important thing, and see it as hypocrisy when she claimed she would much rather have me as her friend than to have ever met her girlfriend as she has sex with her.
I told her how I felt. I laid it all down, that I was sorry to put it on her, and that I understood she was a lesbian, and that I didn’t expect her to date me or anything, but there were only two things to do: she could agree to join me as we quest to discover why we are attracted to what we are, so that we can know if we could be together one day; or we could just stop talking to each other, she can continue being lesbian, and I can move on with my life. She cried very much that night, and had no answer. The next day she broke up with her girlfriend, and I thought I had my answer. A week passed, and she disappeared all day, and I searched for her, desperate as to where she had gone. I couldn’t find her. As I lay sleeping that night, I heard moaning next door all night- she had brought her girlfriend back over to have sex with her. I’ve never felt so awful in my entire life as I did that night- an immense sense of betrayal, my stomach was twisted in knots, and I was immobilized. I wanted to cry and vomit, but the sense of helplessness held back both.
I confronted her the next morning, weak from clenching my stomach for the last 8 hours. I asked her why. She burst into tears and told me it was because she felt it was all impossible, that she would lose me anyway, and I might as well leave her now. She said she did it because she knew it’d make me leave her. She left hurriedly for class, and I explained the situation to her (ex?) girlfriend.
Sara got back from class, and her girlfriend was pissed at her. I had dozens of unanswered questions, but Sara chose to calm down her girlfriend instead, all day, leaving me high and dry for a more in-depth discussion until the next day. Their relationship became one of friendship after this point, and to my knowledge they didn’t have sex again. Seeing how manic the situation had made her, I chose to forgive her, even though the pain was so great from the night I heard them having sex. Maybe the pain made me more susceptible to forgiving her, I still don’t know. Anyways, the next few months passed and their friendship dwindled until they finally stopped talking altogether.
After all this time, and another month passing by, even though we spent virtually all of our time together, we had still never discussed attraction, something of vital importance to our own relationship’s growth. I brought it up with her, and explained my concerns that over the last month, she had changed, and she had altogether stopped discussing anything of importance with me, only trivial things, and how we needed to figure out our attractions. She cried once more, telling me that she didn’t think she could ever do it (find me attractive in all my masculinity, that is). I begged her that we should discuss it, we’ve *never* discussed it, to not jump to conclusions so quickly, but she wouldn’t listen. She said she didn’t want to talk anymore because my existence made her feel awful about herself, telling me that she believed me too good for her to bear. She said she just wanted some alone time, and that she wouldn’t form or seek out relationships with anyone else, she just wanted to be by herself. I agreed to it, and I myself cried for the first time in years that night.
The next day, she came back to her room with another random girl on her softball team whom she never spoke to beforehand. I saw and text her to please not do anything with her, that it’s only been a day, and she knew how I had felt when she had done this before. I begged her. She promised me she wouldn’t and that she wasn’t even trying anything with this girl.
I heard the moaning once more as I tried to sleep. She’d lied to me, right to my goddamn face.
This time, all the same feelings returned, as well as rage. As soon as I was sure what I was hearing, I leaped out of bed, got out of my room, and slammed the door shut as hard as I possibly could, hoping she would hear it and know it as a sign that I would never speak to her again. I told my roommate what happened, and didn’t dare go back to my room to try and sleep until 5 in the morning.
That was 2 and a half months ago.
I still think about her every day. This is absolute agony. I can’t move on from her. Time isn’t doing shit. I haven’t even looked at her, let alone talked to her, for 2 and a half months. I still hear her and her random softball teammate fucking from time to time, and it’s the worst feeling I’ve ever felt and I wanna break apart the damn wall and beat the shit out of her every time I hear it. But I can’t do anything about it either! I think if I talk to her I won’t be able to say anything except curse her for being such a complete asshole, for being a coward, for lying to me and betraying my trust after 2 years of having nobody but her.
I understand that the usual response to this is just take some time to get over her, but I haven’t felt any better at all since the very first week we stopped speaking. I miss her so much, everything she says and does. I even keep myself busy with other things, and I don’t purposely think of her, but I can’t help it. I still don’t really want to date or have sex with any other woman. So even though I want to be friends with her with all of my heart, everything is just broken beyond repair- if we realistically did start spending time together again, she now has another girlfriend or fuck-buddy of some sort in the picture, she still hasn’t changed her approach to relationships, she still doesn’t want to talk about anything, and I know if nothing is different, it will inevitably lead to me being hurt once more.
And I think I understand why I can’t move on from her. It’s because we still share all the same values. See, even though she has sex with these women that don’t deserve it, so to speak, that she values her own self so little that basically any hot girl can have sex with her, she feels bad about it. Even though she doesn’t understand herself and her own sexuality and is too scared to do so, she doesn’t believe that it’s right. She thinks that I’m perfect, and that she’s unworthy. Her own lack of confidence seems to be her only flaw.
Of course, she could just be a masterful bullshitter, but I don’t believe that she devoted 2 years of her life to bullshit. I believe we still share the same values and she’s just too scared, maybe even cowardly, to figure it out for herself. But I’m so angry at her I don’t want to even see her, but I’m so much less happy without her. I don’t know what to do.
Help? Insight? Anybody?