Conspiracy

Many publications have come out saying that the U.S. Gov’t knew about the terrorist plans before 9/11. Whats your thoughts?

[Edit: Moved. What logic led you to classify this under “political philosophy”??? -GC]

What do they mean by “knew”? Was it that the Government “knew” of the details such as dates, persons invovled, flight numbers and airports, targets, etc…?

Or “knew” as in “knew that there were terrorists in the country planning something horrific”?

If it’s the latter, there’s no point in discussing this. If it’s the former, then we’ve got something to think and talk about…

Many publications have come out saying that the U.S. Gov’t knew about the terrorist plans before 9/11. Whats your thoughts?

What are these publications? Can you link to one?

What are these publications? Can you link to one?

Hello Misterswig.

I can’t exactly link you the articles, but I have a book and I really wouldn’t mind mailing it to you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai…=books&n=507846

Theres Michael Moore’s 911, which I wouldn’t buy on my life but read a chapter in stores.

Let me think of other places where I’ve read the same conspiracy theories over and over again.

BTW: Non of you haven’t heard of the accusations that the U.S. gov’t “know” that the attacks were “going to happen?”

As a rule, I don’t pay attention to conspiracy theories, and I do not believe for one minute that our government knew about 9/11 in any sort of specific terms and let it happen. Even if some of them had something to gain from the attacks (1) I don’t believe most of them are that evil, (2) at least one person would have come forward, (3) many high up in the government lost friends on 9/11.

On the other hand, that terrorists wanted to attack us was no secret, and our failure was not an intelligence failure. It’s not that we failed to connect the dots regarding this one specific attack: it’s that we did not have a principled foreign policy. And we still do not.

[1] I can’t exactly link you the articles, but I have a book and I really wouldn’t mind mailing it to you.

[2] Theres Michael Moore’s 911, which I wouldn’t buy on my life but read a chapter in stores.

[3] BTW: Non of you haven’t heard of the accusations that the U.S. gov’t “know” that the attacks were “going to happen?”

  1. Thanks, but I wouldn’t read an entire book on the topic.

  2. I saw Moore’s movie. I must have missed the part where he accusses Bush of knowing about 9/11 beforehand. I got the distinct impression that Moore thought Bush was too busy vacationing in Texas to know anything or care about a possible attack. Maybe he argues differently in his book, which wouldn’t surprise me. Liberals tend to vomit up any absurd theory that comes to mind–without putting much thinking into it.

  3. I’ve heard of the accusation. But I haven’t heard any evidence to support it. Maybe you can brief us on the evidence.

It is going to take a lot of hard evidence to convince me that our government knew that the enemy was going to fly planes into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and some other DC target, and nobody tried to stop it.

As a rule, I don’t pay attention to conspiracy theories, and I do not believe for one minute that our government knew about 9/11 in any sort of specific terms and let it happen.  Even if some of them had something to gain from the attacks (1) I don’t believe most of them are that evil, (2) at least one person would have come forward, (3) many high up in the government lost friends on 9/11.

On the other hand, that terrorists wanted to attack us was no secret, and our failure was not an intelligence failure.  It’s not that we failed to connect the dots regarding this one specific attack: it’s that we did not have a principled foreign policy.  And we still do not.

You’re probably right about this, but I gained some interesting insight just reading about Operation Northwoods. I’m paraphrasing below from memory:

That was a plan drafted secretly during the Cold War. The intent was to curry favor with the public on going to war with Cuba. The plan was abandoned, but it called for having Cuba attack some of our navy destoyers, giving us the impetus to enter a war with Cuba.

Another theory I’ve heard was that we decoded Japanese transmissions and learned of a plan to attack Pearl Harbor. The American public was against getting involved in the war, and the administration saw the potential of an attack on our shores as a means to change public opinion, so ostensibly, nothing was done.

While I have no inside proof that either of the above examples is true, the concepts are realistic in the realm of politics. Crisis is a great motivator of public opinion. Hitler used it expertly. What if the Americans use it too?