Understood. The forum must protect and indemnify itself in this “surveillance society” that we live in.
That said, I was speaking purely in principles.
Prior to my embroiled litigation with taxing authorities, I held the position that terrorism was unjustifiable in ANY situation. My experiences have taught me not to be so diametrically-opposed to the concept. While it is a no-win situation, it seems that if one is sentenced to death by homelessness, that perhaps it is not such an evil act if it is done in such a manner as to raise the cost of state-sponsored terrorsm (economic terrorism).
I don’t condone nor encourage anyone to commit such acts; I just understand the possible justifications for them now, where I didn’t before my brush with the law taught me how helplessly under the boot we Americans really are with respect to taxes and emminent domain laws.
I had hoped that the CONTEXT of my discussion was understood to be based hypothetically, in principles. Since Objectivists are accustomed to speaking in principles, I felt that it was understood that these discussions are not to be taken literally.
In closing, I should note that while we are generally able to cover the scope of a situation intellectually, sometimes the emotional feeling of being caught like a trapped animal can add a perspective that intensifies a situation to beyond mere intellectual understanding. I have come to experience both aspects of my situation.
And finally, I have a wife and daughter that I adore and love very much. I have to look out for their welfare. Much of what I am saying, while meant in principle, is just venting. I am so frustrated to have an understanding of an Objectivist world, but be forced to live in a totally irrational world!
People may be reacting to oppression, but are they reacting against those who oppressed them? Or are they reacting against those who did not cause them any harm and in fact offer the only solution to their problems (reason, freedom, and capitalism)?
In general, I agree. Terrorism of the flavor practiced in the Middle East is evil to the core, because it is directed at the wrong people.
I was speaking more of the act of, say, building a nuclear device and putting in one’s attic, to be detonated when the SWAT teams arrive to take the tax delinquent homeowner away. Such an act would put a definate damper on future property takings, don’t you agree? The act of retaliation in defense of one’s rights is the ONLY act of “terrorism” that I could conceive of being morally-justifiable.
Note: The above example is purely hypothetical for discussion purposes. The writer does not advocate keeping nuclear weapons in one’s attic.