Cross-pollinating while flamespotting!

I’ve been meaning to write a post such as this for a while now, and this is written in the spirit of the other post requesting IM names… (Naturally, this is _not_ a wholesale endorsement of what’s on offer around the Web i.e. YMMV.)

A few of you have given “shout-outs” indicating that you are at LiveJournal.com I can’t say that I find any of the AR/Objectivist forums to be of great value because after all… (ahem), but there are quite a few forums there. Good posts can be found there sometimes even in spite of the lack of proper moderation it would seem.

I wanted to add more virtual locations where Objectivists are already congregating at such as…

facebook.com

Just do the usual AR/Objectivism keyword search; I think the FB forum for ARI itself has had its “Wall” recently disabled, but there are more forums being formed and joined fairly frequently.

myspace.com

Same deal… do a keyword search and LOOK OUT! There’s more people there, but I personally prefer FB’s layout and “vibe” better.

Now this is particularly interesting to me:

http://www.last.fm/group/Last.FM+Objectivists/members

It should be noted that allegedly Last FM may be in copyright violation by streaming unauthorized material, but it’s my understanding that they are addressing this issue.

Now, the real reason why I’m posting…

Where else are we on the Web?

I’m specifically looking for websites which are generally philosophically-neutral and host/allow for Objectivist-oriented groups/forums.

Keeping in mind that it’s better to avoid websites that are (even indirectly) hostile to AR, Objectivism, or ARI’s speakers, where else can a person go “flamespotting”?

I’m specifically looking for websites which are generally philosophically-neutral and host/allow for Objectivist-oriented groups/forums.

Philosophically neutral? I assume you mean like LiveJournal etc., which aren’t Objectivist themselves? If so…

… there are the old Newsgroup where some folk still post: the very lightly moderated humanities.philosophy.objectivism (the older, wild and flame-ridden alt.philosophy.objectivism seems to have slid into disuse).

Yahoo Groups also had a couple of Objectivism-related ones, but very small.

The place I was surprised to find some huge and active groups was Google’s Orkut. One has to register, or already have a Gmail Id. They have a very active group called “Ayn Rand Fans in India”.