Split: New IRC Chat Channel

I almost forgot!

If you are reading something and want to chat with someone in real-time about it, please feel free to stop by #objectivist on the Undernet IRC network. I am there as much as I can be.

Unlike other Objectivist IRC channels, mine is open to those learning/studying Objectivism, and I do offer my help with that as much as I can.

Even if you’re not learning, please come by. I welcome the help, different angles of attack, and I’m always looking for people who are good at it to give ops too :slight_smile:

I plan to have a small website up soon with at least my channel charter – maybe this weekend. It will be at http://www.objectivistchat.com

Unlike other Objectivist IRC channels, mine is open to those learning/studying Objectivism, and I do offer my help with that as much as I can.

Even if you’re not learning, please come by.  I welcome the help, different angles of attack, and I’m always looking for people who are good at it to give ops too :slight_smile:

http://www.objectivistchat.com

What are your standards of tolerance?

What are your standards of tolerance?

That’ll be in the charter soon. Basically, I will accept and talk to anyone interested in Objectivism up to the point where they reject some part of it outright and explicitly. I will argue to a point but when when its clear to me that there is impassible dishonesty, that’s where I draw the line. I do not draw the line at the first hint of dishonesty, without any attempt to resolve it.

Precipitating a change in the culture means that people must be helped when they become interested in Objectivism; not bashed over the head at their first encounter so that they conclude that “Objectivists are mean” or worse. We should remember that most of the people who are becoming interested are part of the current culture and we should give them time to work out whatever issues they have.

I have been a self-declared Objectivist for only 5 years and an actual Objectivist for less than that, and I’m still working on various aspects of my character. I know how difficult it is and how much effort it takes, and I’m unwilling to require everyone to instantly figure everything out and fix their subconscious minds overnight.

Is Bearster involved in this channel? If not, then I may be interested.

Perhaps that was too blunt.

Is Bearster involved in this channel? If not, then I may be interested.

Perhaps that was too blunt.

He is not. Bearster and I have different purposes for our channels, so there should be no conflict between the two. My purpose is advocacy & teaching of Objectivism, his is not – at least, it wasn’t the last time I talked to him.