At what point when the justice system no longer does justice does an individual rightly claim the right to seek justice for themselves?
It would seem at some point our rights as individuals would morally trump what society dictates if the judicial branch of our government refuses to do justice. The question is- what is that point?
I think that Dr. Peikoff answers that question as well, in his podcast, Episode 103, which I also transcribed, hopefully without error:
10:16 ‘There’s a rape case. The police fail to find the rapist. You know who it is. Is it moral to exact justice on your own, assuming you wouldn’t be caught?’ You know, maybe hire somebody else or whatever… take vigilante revenge or justice. He says, ‘This question comes up as a follow-up to your answer about Climategate. You said,’ and he quotes me here, ‘“You know that these people, the professors, are aiding and abetting a group of killers, and that the government is actively cooperating, then it is self-defense to steal the answer.”’"
"My answer, first of all, is that in this situation the police are not aiding and abetting, they’re not doing anything; they’re simply, as you put it, failing. Presumably they tried, they couldn’t, or they were swamped with other cases, or whatever, but they weren’t aiding and abetting…Nor are they actively cooperating with the rapist, which is entirely different, first of all, from what I was saying. What I was talking about was people, like the professors, who were actually abetting a crime and a government’s supposed to protect you, helping them doing it. Failing to come up with a crime is not the same thing.
Now, if you, you can accept a vigilante outlook, but only under one condition, only if you say, this society is past the point of living in it, a peaceful resolution of differences is no longer possible because the total authority is so corrupt, so lax. After all, people originated the society because they delegated the right of force and retaliation in order to achieve the protection of their rights.
If the government is totally, completely failing, then you have the right morally, one has the right morally, to say, i withdraw my delegation. But you have to be able to know what the consequences are. The first consequence is going to be anarchy if that principle is followed. You have to decide, is anarchy is better than the diluted, inconsistent protection you get now. I certainly don’t think so.
In some cases, I sympathize with the person who takes it into his own hands, but I can’t endorse that as a principle. I sympathize because it’s on the border. It’s so horrible that, I wouldn’t do it myself, but I wouldn’t report it either. And don’t ask me which cases.
The only time when I think it would be really appropriate would be if you were able to declare a revolution: I won’t any longer follow this society; I’m going to have a new one. Which is what the original Americans did. They said it’s simply not possible to reform the society from within, so we will have a revolution. But they had two things that you don’t have: they had an era of all favoring their ideas, reason and individual rights, and you have the opposite, and they had the potential military strength. England, Britain, did not have military weapons and ICBM’s and nuclear, etc. So, under these circumstances, the revolution would be hopeless.
So I won’t say that you can do anything except say, I can’t take the law into my own hands, I can’t do anything about this society, at least as a matter of principle. We vote on them. There may be exceptions.
One other thing. Simply failing in a duty does not mean betraying it and therefore violating your rights and you need to have a private reaction. Any human activity must allow the possibility of failure. But, if and when the protectors turn into killers themselves, you have to escape or do what you can. But right now, you really don’t have much of a choice. If you think that the United States is gone to that point, you don’t have much of a choice but to leave the country, which there are certain people doing and I can understand why."