Should a man that has committed murder be hated forever? How does one confront this type of situation ethically and objectively?
Before you respond to this thread, and if you have the time, I ask that you please watch parts 4 and 5 of an Advocate News Special from the hyperlink below:
http://www.logoonline.com/shows/dyn/advoca…_4/videos.jhtml
Another good, informative article on the matter is:
http://www.towleroad.com/2007/01/mother_fe…omment-27385058
This link, has a discussion board on the bottom on which I have expressed the majority of my views on the fate of Paul Broussard, Jon Buice, the other assailants, and Ray Hill’s involvement.
For those of you who will ignore the links, I will summarize that this is an issue about a murder which occured in 1991 when 10 young men between the ages of about 16 and 22 where involved in a gay-bashing tragedy that resulted in a fatal wound produced by a young man named Jon Buice, and the death of Paul Broussard.
Initially after the incident, the local authorities refused to deal with an investigation involving hate crimes against homosexuals, so they tried to blow it off, but thanks to radio talk show host Ray Hill, the culprits of the incident were forced to be tracked down and face trial.
Later on, Ray Hill, who heard about a 45 year prison sentence for Jon Buice, spoke up again about the unjust severity of this punishment and has spent the years since trying to reduce the sentence.
15 years have already gone by and several of the 10 culprits involved are already finishing their sentences and on their way out of prison on parole. Now the matter is about how we, as a society, are supposed to respond to these individuals.
I respect Ray Hill for his determination both in LGBT activism as well as in seeking justice for convicts. The morning that I saw the special by the Advocat News Magazine I wrote Ray a letter which goes as follows:
"Dear Ray,
I am a 17-year-old male homosexual writing from Hollywood, Florida. I saw the special by the Advocate Magazine on the Logo Network and felt compelled to write to you. I understand the complexity of the John Buice trial, and though I may never have the full capacity of imagining all of the ramifications it may entail, I can but only submit my own adolescent perspective on the matter with the hope that with enough propriety an sincerity, my words may be heard by an adult in this world, or heeded by the media. Our world has become so technological that even though I can turn off a the LOGO Network and reach you across the country in an instant, my letter is still no more than a click of a mouse away from total extinction.
First, I would like to extend my deepest grief and apologies to the mother of the young man that was murdered, because no human being on earth deserves to have such a thing happen to them. I know that if I lost a loved one, I would be distraught terminally, and perhaps even dead right now from an inability to cope with the matter. It is for this reason that this letter to you seems to me of such controversial importance.
When I saw the special done by the Advocate News Magazine on the John Buice Trial, I, like any other viewer, I am sure, could not help but recall all of the hardships endured by the LGBT community over history, but particularly the events that have taken place within my own lifetime: continuous gay-bashings nationwide, legal preventions of marriage, and the execution of Mahmoud and Ayaz in Iran on July 19, 2005. It is a horrid thing when a human being’s life is taken in this way. I’m not sure how exactly I could change such a state of our world but I try my best by remaining true to myself, open, proud, and by taking the time to write letters such as this, or speeches on Gay Rights that I compete with in Debate Tournaments all around my county. I do not know if my voice is heard. All I can guarantee is that I will continue speaking.
On the topic of the John Buice trial, I do believe that any human being that commits murder has a responsibility to pay for such a crime. There is no way I would ever condone an act of murder, nor will I ever forget what happened. But despite this fact, I do have a rooted belief in the doctrine of forgiveness. I do not believe in “death row”. I do not believe any human being, whether on the side of the law or not, ever has a right to take someone’s life away, but on the point of long term incarcerations, I do agree with you that a convict, or even a murderer is also an individual, and the best that an individual can do is to function rationally and learn to take responsibility for all their actions. I have always admired the quote: “a real man pays all his dues and always keeps his word.” It is important for us to remember that. It is important for us to remember that we do not accomplish anything by keeping a man perpetually behind bars, and that doing so does not vindicate their wrongful actions.
I, personally, do not know John Buice or what kind of man he is. I cannot measure the amount of pain he may have inflicted or what should determine the extent of his punishment. But despite that reality, I can state from my own experience being sexually abused at the age of seven, that forgiveness is essential to our lives and essential to the nature of man. Yes, we do hurt, and we mourn, and we seethe from the inability to control every facet of our destinies, but I do accept that we are nothing if we turn our backs entirely on one another and begin to deafen ourselves out of hatred or sorrow. I wanted you to know that I admire what you are doing for John Buice, regardless of the controversial implications. I respect and admire that you do what is RIGHT, regardless of the struggle, and I can only hope to also attribute the same quality to my life from now on. Anne Frank once stood at the peak of a Holocaust and said “Despite all this, I do believe that men are good at heart.” Let us all continue believing in that, and fighting for that single premise.
Most Sincerely,
-High School Senior"
Since then, I have also begun to correspond with Jon Buice himself and am awaiting a personal letter from him with his thoughts on this entire matter.
I appreciate any objective commentary you might have…
-J.