Hey everyone,
This is my second post and I haven’t introduced myself yet, so I’ll do that now. My name is James. I’m a graduate student in applied mathematics and I’m studying to become a composer in my spare time.
For most of my life, I’ve been very interested in learning how to get better at thinking about various things (board games, following movies, cooking, playing instruments, learning math, learning languages, etc.) I’ve never had a remarkable ability at any of these things, but I’ve always managed to do well at school work. I guess you could say I’m what people call “book smart.” But I’m not great at much else. For instance, out of all my friends, I’m the only one who hasn’t ever won a single board game that we’ve all played together, I have a very hard time following movies unless I really concentrate, I’m generally not “good with my hands” when it comes to cooking in the kitchen, or working on anything mechanical, and after about 10 years of being involved with music (I played violin for about 6 years, then moved to guitar when I came to college, and I’ve played keyboard on and off throughout all that time) I’m still not great at any one particular instrument.
So, I’ve been trying to figure out what the hell I’m doing wrong, and after rereading ITOE, I think I may have gotten a clue. I don’t remember the page number, but somewhere in the book Ayn Rand said that all human thought follows the pattern of “Something exists. I’m conscious of it. I must discover it’s identity.” I totally underestimated the value of that statement the first time I read the book. But I’ve been trying to implement it to everything I do over the past few weeks, and it’s had astonishing results for the most part. In math, I’ve been reading my class notes much more thoroughly, making sure I integrate everything I learn without contradiction into a coherent whole. In music, when learning a new piece on say the keyboard, I’ve been relating it to all the other pieces I know, figuring out the nature of the notes and rhythms that are used, which means seeing how they relate to the notes and rhythms used in every other piece I know, and why they convey the emotions they do. In daily life, I’ve been observing everything around me more closely, grouping together trees, birds, cars, windows on buildings, trying to be aware of what I’m seeing at all times and how many objects of a given kind I’m seeing, etc.
Anyway, while I think this has been helping me in all aspects of life, I’ve been finding it to be exhausting! I’ve never thought so hard about everything before. And I’m wondering whether other objectivists live like this on daily basis or whether I’m taking things to an extreme? All thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ![]()