People can have flaws and errors in their thinking, but they don’t have too if they are careful by starting with the correct premises and reasoning through them correctly.
This is incorrect and something you might want to research for you’re own benefit. I think you actually know this though, or else your discussions with these people would never be able to change their minds on a given subject. If people actually had no choice in their beliefs. And once again, please note their is a difference between respecting others right to believe anything they choose, and you actually respecting those often incorrect beliefs as such.
I can’t give any peer reviewed scientific journals.
I will leave it at this argument. You don’t believe in a flying spaghetti monster. You know matter how much you want to, can’t really believe in such a creature, you can’t choose to believe it because you know it doesn’t exist.
I will concede the point about respecting their right vs respecting their beliefs.
That’s why I didn’t use any other quotes from that source.
Either way, the one I used does make sense. They knew that death was something to be avoided, and that their actions would have consequences. You can say “But they didn’t know what ‘wrong’ was!!!” all day but they obviously knew that their actions would have negative consequences..that’s why they didn’t eat from the tree in the first place.
I don’t believe in the Adam and Eve story, so it’s stupid to argue about the details.. But I think it’s important to read the bible and understand what it’s saying before (poorly) attacking it.
I don’t want pointlessly argue but, I will say this. Being punished for doing wrong and rewarded for doing right is a precondition for everything learning right from wrong, be it children or dogs. If there was no possible way to do wrong before they ate the fruit, then regardless of what Eve said, it would have only been her regurgitating something that she didn’t understand in the first place.
You can leave a tape recorder going in front of a parrot that talks about theoretical physics. If done right the parrot might even be able to repeat information or mention it when it is relevant. That doesn’t mean the parrot understands anything that he is saying at all.