A segment of Dr. Diana Hsieh’s latest podcast addresses the question of what qualifies as art, and what does not.
Hsieh says:
“…I think you can say, well look, not everything qualifies as art in this strict sense. But that doesn’t mean that the stuff outside of that strict sense of art is without value or without spiritual significance. Often, it’s exactly the opposite, that there’s more value and significance, for example, in a beautifully, well done bit of pottery which has utilitarian function than there is in a bad painting. Right? Uh, but I do think that you can say, look, some things are different, they don’t have all the essential properties of art in the strict sense. So, for example, you have some things like artistic objects that have a strong utilitarian function, so I think pottery, architecture, tapestry, these things fall under that category.”
In the above, Hsieh is stating that architecture does not qualify as art in the strict sense of Rand’s definition. I wonder if she realizes that she is disagreeing with Rand and with the Objectivist position on the subject. The Objectivist view is that architecture does qualify as art in the strict sense, despite the fact that it serves a utilitarian purpose, and despite the fact that Rand stated that it “does not re-create reality.” You could say that Rand viewed it as being so well qualified as art that its utilitarian function didn’t interfere with its aesthetic expression enough to disqualify it – it was so aesthetically powerful that it deserved an exception from her own stated criteria and definition.
Hsieh went on to say:
“Then you have artistic objects also that are more imitative so there’s, the creator has less control over them, and photography would be under that.”
It is not true that photography allows a creator less control. Advanced photographic techniques offer more control than what is available to a painter, including techniques that were used prior to the existence of digital imaging. I would suggest that anyone interested in the subject of whether or not photography qualifies as an art form according to Objectivism should familiarize themselves with the techniques used by renowned photographers like Jerry Uelsmann, Man Ray, Bill Brandt, Minor White, and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, such as orthographic masking, projection and in-camera masking, negative/positive film alignment, multiple exposures, time exposures, color, diffusion and distortion filters, and selective dodging and burning. Anything that can be imagined can be produced on film, including realistic likenesses of objects without actually shooting any objects.
Here’s a simple example of my own experimental special effects photography that I’ve posted many times in the past in Objectivist fora:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/73/212794949_c4a5801970.jpg
It’s an image of a flower that did not exist in reality. It was made using the using the techniques that I listed above. No real objects were photographed to create it. It wasn’t drawn or painted or cut out, and it wasn’t created using any digital technology. It’s the result of nothing but knowing how to precisely control light, film and other photographic equipment. In creating it, I exercised more control than what any painter could (I should note here that I’m also a painter).
It may be true that certain people who have very little knowledge of photography are limited in the amount of control and selectivity that they can bring to the art form, but the medium’s status should not be determined by their personal limitations. Their limitations are not photography’s limitations, and photography should not be rejected as an art form based on their inabilities and lack of knowledge of the medium.
Besides, even without the advanced techniques that I listed above, a single still photograph can create an imaginary world which embodies a fundamental view of existence, just as a movie can (a series of photographs), and just as a painting can.
Here’s an example of a photograph which is a staged, fictional portrayal of events in an imaginary world:
http://static.flickr.com/22/96847642_9f52d710d1_o.jpg
Now, in the past, I’ve heard people argue, after viewing the above image, that a single image cannot convey enough meaning to qualify as art. They say that a movie of the event would qualify as art because it would provide more information through the unfolding of the plot over time, but a single still image can’t do that. When I’ve asked them, in response, why they then allow paintings to qualify as art despite the fact that they also show only one frozen moment in time, they’ve been unable to offer a coherent reply. Their position appeared to be that a painting that an artist created based on a scene that he staged in front of his canvas can somehow convey enough meaning to qualify as art, but the exact same staged scene somehow cannot convey enough meaning when photographed! Their irrational position was that you could even have an artist who could paint so realistically that his painting of the scene was indistinguishable from a photograph of the scene, and his painting would convey enough meaing to qualify as art where the photograph would not!
Hsieh continued:
“Now this doesn’t mean that these things aren’t valuable or don’t have strongly artistic elements, and sometimes they have more utilitarian or less utilitarian, more artistic, less artistic, but it’s okay, like, people often times get really upset if their favorite kind of artistic endeavor is not qualified as art. But, don’t be upset about it. It’s alright. An object is not less important of less valuable just because it’s not art in the strict sense. Again, great pottery’s better than a crappy painting. So there’s not a kind of moral judgment here, there’s not just like denigration here, um, and so, like, just understand that it’s a kind of factual distinction between what you consider that’s, like, core art, and what you’re doing is separating out particularly the utilitarian function and making sure the artist has this immense amount of control over things.”
It is not a “factual distinction” that photography is not art due to the belief that a photographer does not have an “immense amount of control over things.” It’s only an erroneous opinion, not a fact. And I can’t speak for others, but I’m not the least bit “upset” about people who know little about photography claiming that it’s not an art form. My trying to educate them on the subject should not be taken as my being “upset,” and the same is probably true of others who voice their objections to people’s assertions that photography is not an art form.
Hsieh continued:
“So, anyway, I hope that’s helpful. I just don’t think… people do get really upset, like about if whether photography is art or not, and it’s just, like, I don’t think that it is, but don’t get your panties in a bundle about it.”
I’d ask, as politely as possible, who is getting their panties in a bundle, and why? I’m a professional photographer, so I think it’s understandable that I’d have some passionate, informed views on the subject. But why is the issue so important to people who have no actual interest in the subject? Why do people who have very little knowledge of photography insist on claiming that they are identifying “facts” about the medium which are not actually facts?
J