Features Updates

Feb 02:

– Created Forum: http://www.rationalmind.net/forum

– Set up Postnuke: Site: Beta

– Installed Wiki, but it’s currently broken…(if you know how to fix it, let me know!)

The Wiki and Gallery modules are currently not working. I can’t figure out how to configure Wiki for Postnuke (though it’s been done) and Gallery needs ImageMagik, which is missing from this server.

Edit: Gallery now works!

Edit2: Gallery now broken :frowning:

Feb 03:

Added 70 quotes to the homepage. For full list of 300 go here.

I’m working on setting up caching using jpcache to speed up the page load. I installed it at http://ObjectivismOnline.com/index2.php though I’m not sure how well it works yet. This would probably be useful when the site is under heavy load even if I don’t run it by default.

The forum’s URL is: http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/

The Gallery is back. I’ll work on moving the postnuke site to a better server soon.

Oops, time was off by 5 hours.

A few things:

Postnuke has been updated to a new version (7.26)

Members can now add events to the calendar.

More classifications have been added to the seniority ratings ( the pips).

I’m considering an award of some sort to be given to the most active posters – to be decided later.

The forum will be updated to the new version soon, when the final 1.2 release comes out (any day now)

Update: Forum Updated to 1.2! Added some new features like the warning system. Need to update theme files.

New live chat forum installed at http://ObjectivismOnline.com/chat

Added support for giving away email accounts @objectivismonline.net

(Are free email accounts a good “award” for top posters in the forum?)

Added shortcuts via mod_rewrite to various URL’s, such as

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/Gallery

and

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/Reviews

More classifications have been added to the seniority ratings ( the pips). 

I’m considering an award of some sort to be given to the most active posters – to be decided later.

David,

I like the idea of adding more pips, but I think maybe some of the new titles you’ve added should be changed (or at least the order of them). For instance, it seems strange to me that “Junior Member” comes after “Advanced Member” (or even “Member”). Doesn’t “Junior” imply less? (I would also probably make some slight changes to the exact numbers of minimum posts required for each ranking.)

Also, perhaps more creative names could be given to the member titles just to make them more fun (this is just an idea, certainly not necessary). For instance, perhaps the highest rating, someone with, say, 1000+ posts, could be “Selfish” or “Self-centered” or something like that.

What do you think?

Sure, why don’t you write out what you think the post numbers, pips, and rank names should be.

Sure, why don’t you write out what you think the post numbers, pips, and rank names should be.

Well, just for starters (I can’t come up with a whole new set of names for the ranks off the top of my head, and the existing ones are fine, really), I would rearrange the order to perhaps:

Newbie (1 pip)

Junior Member (2 pips)

Member (3 pips)

Senior Member (4 pips)

Advanced Member (5 pips)

As far as the minimum number of posts for each rank goes, I would move “Junior Member” up to 25, because everyone who has been on the board for a significant length of time and posts regularly (in other words, everyone who’s not a newbie) has at least that many (or will have in one or two more posts). I’d set “Member” at 100 (because 30 would just be too soon after 25), “Senior Member” at 500, and “Advanced Member” at 1000. That way, each successive rank requires a greater increase in the amount of posts than did the previous one.

Granted, nobody has nearly enough posts to reach the top two ranks on that scheme yet. I’m just thinking long term, because people will have eventually (probably by the time this board has been around for a year). (Perhaps the minimum post requirements could be left where they are for the time being, and these changes could be made in the future when some people actually start hitting the 500 post mark or so.)

Also, a person will apparently be able to change their own member title once they’ve reached 1000 posts.

Thy will be done.

Thy will be done.

Wow, I feel rather like God. :wink:

I’m not, though, and you are of course always free to disagree with me! :wink: After all, it was only a suggestion, and it is your board in the end.

Update:

I modified a bunch of administrative and security options, mostly to lower security and give more power to moderators. I also made the warning system easier to use – so please don’t hesistate to warn any misbehaving posters.

Also, I added a new “School” field to users profiles.

Btw,

There is a bug in the database system that causes this forum’s database to be corrupted now and then. It happens rarely now, but if traffic goes up significantly, so will the corruption. Usually a quick repair will fix it without any lost data. If you get any errors, please notify me right away so I can fix it.

In case I am not around to fix it, please go to the Control Panel at http://ObjectivismOnline.com/forum/admin.php (you may be unable to find the link if the forum is corrupt) and then SQL Management –> MySQL Toolbox, hit the Select All Tables checkbox, then “Optimize Selected Tables” in the drop box. The optimization should repair the forums, and it won’t hurt even if there’s nothing wrong. In the unlikely chance that any data is lost, please let me know so I can attempt to recover it.

I’m working on fixing the bug, but the forum vendors blame the database, the database people blame the server, the server people blame Cpanel (the integration software) and the Cpanel people blame the forum software.

Re-added the subdomain http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/

Made some changes to the forum headings and enabled some new features, like quick-reply.

Oct 20:

Rearanged the forums based on ideas I got from the CapitalistChicks forum. Thanks :smiley:

Oct 20-something

Added new profile fields, had a fling with a new forum theme (you can still find it in your profile) A major forum update is coming soon, as soon as the software goes live.

Nov 19:

Updated to a new forum version and accidentally overwrote the configuration file. I recreated it from memory, so let me know if you find anything fishy going on.

More forum topics, new Java-based chat room (objectivismonline.net/chat), security patch, and many minor changes to site settings…

I tentatively disabled guest posting to cut down on trolling. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this…

I’ve added two new forums and deleted one. Mods, feel free to move stuff around if you see anything I missed.