Repeating it doesn’t help me to understand. Let’s see if we can find referrents for this idea “people who believe more than what they read”. Is it people who believe what they see on TV (as opposed to written material) or it that not what you meant? Or did you mean people who believe what other tell them, regardless of how silly it sounds? As I said, it isn’t clear what you mean by “believe”. The word is sometimes used to include rational conclusions and at other times it is used to mean belief using faith as opposed to rational cognition.
Essentially, right-minded people according to my understanding of the expression, are those who are creative, less semantic type of thinkers. The number of left minded people out weight the number of right minded people. Neither is better than the other as far as I know, unless you think I have the ability to judge among these two brain hemispheres regions? On an objectivist forum, I would expect this to be a place even more inclined to outweigh “right minded people.” In reality, I meant nothing by the statement, other than to start my post with a thrust of my own train of thought.
I’m not going to explain what I meant by starting a statement with the words “I believe…” If you want to dig out the very nature of using these two words in the beginning of a statement, then you might want to find someone who doesn’t mind discussing such an elementary topic. Frankly I don’t care to elaborate on it, but I will if you must respond to this, insisting I do.
If “people who believe more than they read” is “a good thing”, then it would mean something like this: people who do not take everything they read or hear as being true, but instead evaluate the source and the method by which the source claims to know what they know; people who evaluate whether the information integrates with the other things they know.
That sounds like my type of thinkin’!
Here’s the problem I have with that interpretation, though: if that’s a good thing, how do I square it with your other comment that: “You wouldn’t find it in anyone’s movie collection that subscribed to this forum.” Since you’re here on the forum, I assume you respect your audience. So, this second sentence causes me pause. Do I assume that “people who believe more than they read” is “a bad thing”? If so, what does it mean. Do you see the source of confusion?
Yeah, I really don’t know, but i’m getting kicked off the computer, got to cut this post short. Sorry
Hi back, this is actually an interesting way of seeing it. I see where your confusion is coming from, yes. Okay let me make a few things a little more clear. “people who believe more than what they read” was just my little synonymous expression of “those who are creative, less semantic type of thinkers.” It’s not to be taking literally and interpreted to all ends. And I see where you want clarification on the word “believe” it self.
But it’s interesting how you would be wondering if “people who believe more than they read” is “a bad thing”? It can be bad yes, if you are assuming that the things they believe beyond “written text” are dilapidation forms of information, and misguided irrational ideas that really have no base, and haven’t been thought through.
But to clarify, the “beliefs” I was referring to would be the insights and interpersonal knowledge you have gained through first hand experience, and this doesn’t require a right-hand brain. Left minded brains would just be more apt to tear the shit of these experiences with their factual knowledge.