I have searched and read through the many threads about friendship, and as most people know, asking for advice is asking others to confirm what one already knows s/he ought to do, so here I am.
I have had a friendship that has puzzled and frustrated me for 8 years. I have until recently not been able to figure out what I want from friendship, and consequently, I have participated in this relationship without being fully honest- either to myself or to her. This was not malicious, but a remnant from my upbringing in which I was ordered by my parents to be friends with the least desirable people as an act of charity (rich coming from two addicts, but I digress). In the last year, I have been better able to align my actions with my values in relationships, but this one is trickier because it spans a longer period than my other current friendships do.
I am not speaking with my friend right now because she shares my info with her husband, which would be fine except that he thinks it’s okay to then share it wherever he pleases, which is his choice, and so I have made mine too.
Another piece of the issue is that he is a complete moron. In the past, he has ‘trumped’ my arguments by asking me to prove that my table is really there, or by asserting that a chair is really a chair only in relation to the fact that nothing around it is. My partner and he had an argument that ended with my partner telling him that the discussion is over, and he’s not to contact us again. He refused to accept that what my partner said about his own motivation was actually the case. He had no evidence to the contrary, but insisted that his intuition is a better indicator of reality than my partner’s logical assessment of himself. I wish I were making this up.
The last conversation they had, this man told my partner that he now believes that everyone has disabilities, and that some people are just more functional than others. AAAAAAHHHHH!!!
So his wife, my friend, is a master evader as regards her husband’s behaviour and usually agrees with him, and whatever crackpot idea he comes up with becomes her new lens for viewing life.
I am at my wit’s end, but when I confront her with the absurdities she presents to me, she just agrees with me. If we’re all together in a room, there can be completely opposing viewpoints presented, and if she absolutely must (and she has grasped the exclusivity of a claim, which seems rather rare), she will say that she sees both points, but carry on acting according to the absurd one.
For many years, we were separated by distance and our friendship carried on by phone. Last year, she and her family moved across the country to live near us. It is better for her family, so it was a good choice regardless of their initial intention to be closer to my family. Anyway, since she’s been here, it has become apparent that all those years that we talked about things that I value, and with which she agreed, and I assumed it was because she was living according to similar values, she was not. It turns out that virtually nothing of what I thought about her is true.
She seems to be a chameleon, which is upsetting to a high degree to me.
For instance, I thought we viewed government the same way, based upon what she has said to me during many years of discussions, but last year, she lied about her income in order to receive a tax grant for purchasing bicycles for her children, and she was pleased with her actions! We have less than half their income, twice their family size, and we buy our own bicycles. I was floored. She regularly uses government hand-outs (intended for low income families) to buy things she can easily afford. She participates in lobbies for more hand-outs because she wants to get more stuff for “free”. Am I wrong to find this deplorable?
We used to talk about raising children all the time, and when they moved here, I discovered that to the contrary of our discussions about raising reasoning, thinking, happy, healthy children, she employs hitting, time-outs for x minutes, and then when her children do things that actually warrant serious discussion, she pretends like they’ve done nothing and ignores it. Her husband is worse in that he gives explanations that are ludicrous such as, “Don’t jump on [my 2 yr old]'s back. He doesn’t walk so good.” This after their older, larger child jumped on my child’s back while he was walking down the stairs! Nevermind that my 2 yr old is actually physically very capable and comparably advanced at his age- hardly in the category of not walking well.
So my issue is that I don’t know how to air this or end my relationship with these people because talking to them is like trying to hold onto jell-o. They will ask “why” incessantly, and then continuously agree, when it is obvious that they don’t know what they’re agreeing with, OR, they will attempt to counsel us on our premises based on the “reality” that we are all one (and disabled, I guess :dough: ).
Ugh.
How do you end friendships? I understand and agree with the reason for having friendships, and this one doesn’t fit. We don’t share values, and my ‘friends’ seriously lack virtue. I am disgusted by their behaviours and floating perspectives.
Personal relationships (besides my children) are the aspect of my self-development that have been the most out-of-line with my intellectual understanding. It has just become plain to me that it is necessary for me to align them this past year. Any suggestion would be better than what I have now, which is just not answering the phone and hoping they don’t show up at my doorstep. ![]()