I have been using gmail for sometime now. Really like what google has done with the interface. Very easy to use and the keyboard shortcuts are just too good. Anybody else here using it?
1000MB is a lot of space to have and some of their concepts of grouping mails together ala forum style is pretty neat.
They are allowing only beta-testers for now (through blogger.com), but if you are one of those who have huge email needs, please do check it out, so that you can get your hands on an account as soon as they deploy it.
Doesn’t really support Hebrew though, and has some problems with attachments. I guess that’s why we’re Beta testers…
Regarding the attachments, i think you should try again, cause i was able to send one without a hitch.
It was odd though, the way it sent the attachment, it just asked me to browse to the file and there was no “upload” time at all, it immediately showed in my message. I then thought, it would do the uploading once i press “Send”, but nope, that too was fast. The file i think was only 150KB, so i didn’t expected it to take too much time, but this was just too fast for my connection. And the email did go through. Been wondering since then what they are doing and how
Ok, i tried out an attachment with a bigger file, gmail uploads on “send”
Guess we are eligible beta testers And did you notice that, gmail to hotmail is not the fastest. For me it takes quite a lot of time. But thats the only problem I see, mails to my accounts at gmx.net et al go immediately.
I’ve also been pleased with my gmail account, except I’ve had to keep a watchful eye on the Spam folder. It snapped up a couple important emails, including Betsy’s CyberNet newsletter! Other than that, however, it’s wonderful.
I’m literally beta-testing it for now, for my sake too. Not routed all my mails to it, yet. I use it for a few things, just testing the waters i guess.
Will move to it completely only when they fully deploy it. I still love my gmx.net account
Hmmm. We should have a poll on how many e-mail accounts people have.
I have an innumerable number of e-mail addresses. I have my own domain – speicher.com – and I’ve had it since domains were free. That gives me the option of changing my ISP, which I have done several times, without having to change e-mail addresses.
Am I a freak or does anyone else hold more than 2-3 accounts?
I have six of them that I use for different purposes. One I have specifically for online applications that may lead to spamming.
How do I go about getting a gmail account? 1000MB sounds like a dream. In my line of work, I frequently have to send and receive files that are 200-300MB. Being able to do it through e-mail would be incredibly convenient! I can take any size file on my work e-mail, but I think it’s unethical to use that account for my personal freelance work, although I doubt my boss would care.
Am I a freak or does anyone else hold more than 2-3 accounts?
Well, if you are, then so am I I have 5 email accounts. Which is your preferred one? Mine’s the gmx.net account. The web-interface is german and I don’t know german, but since it has POP3 access, i use it with Outlook Express. I got to learn a little german because of it. I remember doing the registration with the Babel Translation service window opened on the side
If you are sending your big files from your home computer you could always use an old computer (or buy one), set up LINUX, and install an FTP server. It would be much, much, much faster then sending it over e-mail. Just move the files you need over to the server and then the people can download it. Or they can upload it to it, etc. You just gotta know what your doing:-D
Well, my favorite e-mail right now is my own domain, me @ erandror.com .
And I have another that I use solely for work.
I think Gmail will become my favorite address if and when they improve a few things. Before I start using it as my main address they will have to:
A. Start supporting Hebrew.
B. Sort out some problems with sending attachments.
C. Have the option to draw mail to Outlook Express, or even to a client of their own making.
dondigitalia: the only way I know to become a beta-tester is to run an active Blog at Blogger.com. Which by the way have been completely revamped in the last few days.
the only way I know to become a beta-tester is to run an active Blog at Blogger.com. Which by the way have been completely revamped in the last few days
Do you like the new interface?? They made access to your own blog easier, but the colour they chose really puts me off.
How do you sign up for gmail? Is it a “don’t call us, we’ll call you” sorta thing?
(Since switching to b2evolution, I haven’t used the blogger much. She is not so rich in features, after all, and php/MySQL is more fun than recreating the page each time.)
Dinesh - I am neutral to the new colors. But I really REALLY like the new page for post option (with the [itemPage] tag - which is brilliant), and the new comments mechanism. I hope when they release the Blogger premium service they will have such features as a search, a hide/reveal post option, a calendar, a BlogRoll - things that are fairly common in other Blogging services.
What I do like about Blogger is the hands-on HTML programming, and the special Blogger tags which are very smart.
Isaac - try to log out and then log in again at Blogger’s homepage. Then you either get a message from Google or you don’t. Hope you do.
I like my new heroic at gmail.com account, but I hope that they set up some sort of new email notification like my pop and hotmail account does. I have gotten so used to being notified when I receive email that I never check it anymore.
What I do like about Blogger is the hands-on HTML programming, and the special Blogger tags which are very smart.
I agree completely It’s much easier and faster that way.
GC: I too use POPPeeper for email notification for my gmx.net account. Gmail did say they are trying to get POP enabled, so once they do that we’ll be able to use clients like the one above for email notification. Till then I doubt it’s gonna be possible, unless gmail themselves come out with some client of their own.