Yes, on occasion. Actually I’ve been searching for an answer from Objectivism on this, but have yet to find one. Since I don’t have the comfort of believing in an afterlife, death is an especially scary idea for me. The way I’ve dealt with it thus far is to do what I can to stay healthy (and live a long life), and make sure the time I have in this world has had some meaning.
This is precisely why I want to write this essay; I haven’t seen an Objectivist intellectual really deal with the issue, and I think this may be specifically because being fully into and involved in the pursuit of your life’s work precludes experiencing this sort of fear entirely.
One of the realizations that really helped me get my head in the right place (and BOY did it ever take me forever to understand it) was the fact that without death, life has no meaning and no possibility of meaning. Without a fundmental alternative, there can be no values, no reason to want anything, no reason to act, and no purpose for action, because nothing you do will make any difference one way or the other.
Now, fearing the possibility of, say, getting shot in the Marines is perfectly rational; that’s not a generalized existential fear of death, that’s fear of a specific increase in the likelyhood of your death in the near future. Depending on how much you value what you would accomplish by joining the Marines, this increased likelyhood of death may or may not be desirable. It’s certainly something to take into account.
Belief in an afterlife, as an escape from having to worry about death, actually makes your life meaningless. (This is why, btw, there has to be a “good afterlife” and a “bad afterlife”.) If, no matter what you do, you’re immortal, then what difference does it make what you do? Oh, if you’re bad you get . . . eternal boredom, whereas if you’re good, you get . . . a different kind of eternal boredom. Wow, what a draw. I’m so motivated. ::sarcasm::
Isaac Asimov addressed this in one of his nonfiction essays: have you noticed that no one has ever really come up with an idea for a really enjoyable eternity? I mean, no matter what went on, eventually you’d get bored, and there’d be NO ESCAPE. Even excruciating torture would eventually pall.
Morgan Freeman’s character also says something interesting about the issue in “Million Dollar Baby”, a movie I saw recently. “People die every day, doing the dishes, mopping floors, walking around . . . and you know what they all think right there at that last second? I never got my shot . . .”
If you do what’s necessary to make your own shot, death ceases to have metaphysical importance. Weird, but true.