House M.D.

I’ve enjoyed the series House for a while now and can highly recommend it, not as ideal art, but as an almost perfect artistic representation of the platonic misantrope. House is displayed as rational, brilliant, an atheist, deeply mistrusting of humans, very rude and deeply unhappy. A main theme of the series is that House tries to avoid seeing his patients and when he does he is usually rude. The reason? His theory is that by caring about his patients, getting emotionally involved with them, he loses his objectivity and becomes a bad doctor. Another major theme is “everybody lies.” Very often the plot is to solve a medical mystery by finding and revealing the patient’s lie. House is deeply skeptical of altruists, not because he thinks that self-sacrifice is bad, but rather because he thinks that altruists are hyopcrits – they are egoists in disguise. Of course, he thinks that all people are inherently selfish, and by that he doesn’t mean that in a good way.

So why do I enjoy the show? Apart from spoonfeeding us with the false antagonism of reason and emotion Hugh Laurie, playing House, is actually a brilliant actor and at times very funny. He transforms the show from something that would be a mediocre cliché into an enjoyable experience. And the medical mysteries are quite fun too.

I saw an article, or, more accurately, the title of an article, in The Objective Standard about House in the winter issue. It was called “Mr. Jekyll and Dr. House: The Reason-Emotion Split as Manifested in House, M.D.” by Gena Gorlin. I didn’t read it since I’ve never really seen the show, but you might find it interesting.

I read the article. It was actually a very nice summary and I thought esentialized the issues well. I know why people like the show. I personally cannot stand it. I want to see a real hero. House is an emotional and philosophical cripple (and literally a physical one as well). His intellectual brilliance doesn’t make up for that for me (or maybe I should say that is the sort of combination of cripple and brilliance I see daily all the time, so it’s boring).

Excellent show. Can’t wait for the next time.

And.. It’s so Western, so liberal. House’ philosophy shown like something alien, something not right.

House seems to have the same general character as Dominque (with a dash of Wynand) combined with Roark’s brilliance. I love the show, but its message is highly mixed.

Lazlo Walrus: I thought the same thing when I saw this topic! :wink: