Would you expect an Objectivist’s teaching style to differ significantly from the average teacher’s, and if so, how?
Also, in what ways would it be appropriate for a teacher to use his position to promote Objectivism?
Would you expect an Objectivist’s teaching style to differ significantly from the average teacher’s, and if so, how?
Also, in what ways would it be appropriate for a teacher to use his position to promote Objectivism?
It wouldn’t be appropriate for the teacher to espouse any philosophy. But I might imagine an objectivist teach would try to teach more… objectively. Peikoff has talked about his teaching days often in his podcast.
Is it possible to refrain from espousing any philosophy? Isn’t he idea that a teacher should refrain from espousing a philosophy, itself a derivative of a philosohpy?
Rand once said that the Montessori School was her preferred method of education: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education
I don’t know too much about it, but it involves very self-directed learning. Marsha Enright, an Objectivist educator, runs a Montessori program which she is trying to expand.
Is it possible to refrain from espousing any philosophy? Isn’t he idea that a teacher should refrain from espousing a philosophy, itself a derivative of a philosohpy?
I’m sure that what CptChan means is that a teacher shouldn’t spend his time in class talking about and teaching philosophy rather than the object of the class.
Of course everyone should espouse philosophical ideas. But to espouse means to adhere to, not to preach. As far as teaching philosophical ideas to children, the best way to do that is to teach by example anyway. For instance, if you want to teach students honesty, start by being honest yourself, and holding them to the same standard. Don’t spend your time in class explaining the value of honesty instead of the course material.
Another important philosophical idea that teachers should adhere to is individualism: that includes individual responsibility and rewards. Once again, teaching should be done by example: by setting objective standards, and holding everyone to them equally, without ever penalizing excellence or letting failure slide.
It wouldn’t be appropriate for the teacher to espouse any philosophy.
On the contrary, you can certainly work it in, depending on what subject you teach. If you teach English, obviously you can assign a Rand novel and use that as a springboard for communicating Objectivist ideas. Then when you’re stuck assigning, say, The Great Gatsby, you can do a compare and contrast, Gatsby vs. Roark, Daisy vs. Dominique, that kind of thing. If history, the American Revolution will give you a good opportunity to discuss the Enlightenment and different theories of rights and Government, as will other periods. I’ve taken classes with overt Marxists, so why not Objectivists?
Hell, I bet you could work it into shop class and marching band, however obliquely.
Rand once said that the Montessori School was her preferred method of education: http://en.wikipedia…ssori_education
I don’t know too much about it, but it involves very self-directed learning. Marsha Enright, an Objectivist educator, runs a Montessori program which she is trying to expand.
I went to a Montessori school until 6th grade. I give it a lot of credit for why I enjoy thinking critically, and why I have never expected to “share my work load” so to speak, and to take care of my own business by and for myself.