11 minutes ago, KyaryPamyu said:
I consider ‘beauty’ and ‘aesthetics’ to be very different concepts.
I do as well. (Although, is there a difference between “different” and “very different”?
)
11 minutes ago, KyaryPamyu said:
The first subsumes all instances of beauty - flowers, patterns, human faces - while the second one refers exclusively to the field of art.
I agree that “beauty” subsumes all instances of beauty, but I don’t know why “aesthetics” should refer exclusively to the field of art. In my opinion, aesthetics may well encompass both “art” and “beauty.” (And other things besides.)
11 minutes ago, KyaryPamyu said:
Beauty is traditionaly considered to be a fundamental characteristic of art, but it’s neither its sole element, nor the main one.
I agree, but that does not mean that a study of beauty (exhaustive or not) does not fall within the purview of aesthetics.
11 minutes ago, KyaryPamyu said:
Watching sports is an end in itself and a glimpse into man’s highest potential. In that sense it’s a metaphysical experience, just like art. But sport and art aren’t the only examples of metaphysical experiences. Watching a real-life hero succeed in a fight against evil can be metaphysical. Taking a walk around cherry blossom trees can be metaphysical, in the sense that it reminds you of the breathtaking beauty that is possible in life. In her novels, Ayn Rand mentions the pleasure of watching competent men do their job with superlative excellence.
Yes. I’m not prepared to say either way at the moment, but it’s also possible that (some of or all of) the experiences you describe may be properly considered “aesthetic” in nature as well, while not “art.”
11 minutes ago, KyaryPamyu said:
The characteristic that distinguishes art from all other types of metaphysical experience (such as sports), is that an artwork is created by purposefuly selecting elements and integrating them into a coherent whole that conveys something about life. The artist’s toolbox is the whole of existence. You do not script and direct sport games, and even if you did, the amount of things a sport game can concretize is extremely limited, compared to an artistic medium like painting, literature or music.
Agreed to all of this, only retaining the initial protest that “aesthetics” may only deal with “art.” That is the pressure that I suspect is leading some to declare “sports” to be “art,” which you demonstrate is a mistake, but it is best dealt with by recognizing that there is an aesthetic component to things which are not strictly speaking art.
11 minutes ago, KyaryPamyu said:
To answer the thread’s question: if emotional fuel is the standard of comparision, art is definitely superior to sports. My reasons can be found above.
When I approach such comparisons, I wonder. Which is the superior ice cream: chocolate or vanilla? Well, it depends, doesn’t it? And I think that art and sport, even vis a vis “emotional fuel,” depend upon context for us to be able to say that one is “superior” to the other. I’d bet that there are plenty of people who draw greater “fuel” from sports than art, and I don’t see any reason why I should say that art – given their context – is somehow “superior” to the sport that they enjoy, or even what it would mean.
If, in a given context, a person is poised to draw greater “fuel” from some sporting event than some work of art, and if that “fuel” is what’s valued, then I would guess that in such a case that that sport is greater than that art. Trying to compare art and sport in toto, outside of such specifics, outside of context (“better for whom?” “for what?”), seems to me to be destined to be nothing more than an empty shouting match.