Greetings,
I’m a songwriter.
I am sometimes inclined to write lyrics that are not exactly, say, “uplifting.” This is not to say that my doing so is the rule rather than the exception, it is only to say “sometimes.” My bass player (Groovenstein) sometimes objects to my doing so.
If any of you would like an example of what I’m talking about, please visit www.myspace.com/poormansoperamusic and click on the song entitled “Another Disaster.”
Also, I have read “The Romantic Manifesto” and pretty much everything Ayn ever wrote. Thus, one might expect that I’d be able to hammer out this issue on my own and with relative ease. Regrettably, I’m not terribly bright. *wiping drool from my chin*
A couple points that perhaps you could help me resolve:
- When I’m in a funk (in the emotional, not musical sense), I find that penning a song about it helps me to deal with it. Though it may seem counterintuitive, the help does not come from penning a song that amounts to “I’ll get through it.” Rather, the song will generally be a description of the situation or general mood that I’m in, like a “snapshot in time.” The lyric may not address any forward thinking at all in either the positive or negative sense. For example, I wouldn’t say, “I’m miserable and I always will be.” I also wouldn’t say, “I’m miserable, but I won’t be for long.” Rather, I would say, “I’m miserable right now.”
For the life of me, I don’t see anything terribly wrong with doing so. There are many things, however, that I would NOT do. Some examples of things I would NOT write about: using drugs to be evasive, suicide or some other willful act of self-destruction, that life is hopeless (though there would be instances where I would not affirmatively state that “life is hopeful”), etc. Am I being inconsistent?
When my car breaks down, I want to sing, “Damn it! My car broke down. I’m going to be late for work. This car was really expensive, and you would THINK that, for that much money, the thing wouldn’t stop running every 15 miles.”
I don’t want to sing, “Damn it! My car broke down. Gladly, I have a good job, so I can afford to fix it. Also, the guy at the repair shop is really friendly and punctual, so it won’t be a terrible burden to get it fixed.”
I simply want to be pissed off at a situation that can properly result in me being pissed off! And I want to sing about it*.
- IF it is okay for me to write such songs, does it follow that it is okay for someone to listen to and enjoy them? Can I put them on our next record, even though the negative situation will likely have passed by that time?
I think the answer is “yes.” Of course, if I was terribly confident in my answer, I wouldn’t be asking for help now, would I?
Some people can’t or don’t write songs. Thus, they depend on others to do so for them. This is much akin to my innate inability to do laundry. Thus, I depend on my wonderful girlfriend to ensure that I have clean skivvies. So, is it wrong for me to give these people songs that they may relate to and, as a result, enjoy? Again, they may relate to feelings of suicide, but the won’t get a song about it from me, because I don’t think that suicide is a rational choice (except in very, very rare situations). However, I don’t think that being situationally downtrodden is necessarily irrational in every instance.
*I would never actually write a song about that situation as doing so would be incredibly corny, but you get my drift.