hello,
Nice forums, I hope to learn alot here. Let me get to the point…
I am a 22 year old college student who works and attends school full time. I am currently studying liberal arts, but for most of my life music has been my passion. I am beggining to think I need to direct my attention towards a single goal as one of my highest values and this decision is creating some cognitive dissonance, which has been driving me quite crazy.
I have been spending the past two years building a studio, and I have thousands invested in it. Even though I work and go to school full time, I spend about 4 hours a night practicing music. I play guitar, piano, sing, and write. Guitar would be my major instrument if I transferred to a music program.
My confusion stems from the fact that I believe I need to have a main purpose in life that will support me. I want to make music for the rest of my life, it is all I ever wanted to do, but I have spent the past couple of years believing I will never get any where as a musician. As my abilities have improved tremedously I am beggining to realize that with a couple years of highly focused training, where I can practice for 8 hours a day (including classes) I will be able to develop a very high level skill. I am quite an objective person, and based on where I am at right now, and my aptitude for learning, I know that this assesment is very rational.
My question is…Does it seem reasonable that if I dedicate my life to creating music that I will be able to support my primary needs as a human, that is, self sustenance?