As for Nazi Germany, the moral choice for a person living in Nazi Germany would be to leave, not to try and thrive as part of Nazi society.
Where else is there to flee once one is in America? At what point should the Weimar Guards refuse to sanction and further enforce rights violations?
This country is turning from a Rule of Law to a Rule of men, where the rules of law slowly engulf sectors of private life and legalize what should be criminal while criminalizing what should be legal. For example, bureaucrats may legally increase tax on individuals, while other individuals who try to create a business are deemed criminals by violating anti-trust laws. While Police Officers don’t create the laws, they are a necessary force in order to carry out the law.
The Police Officers are the ones that first administer the noose to hang the petty thieves, while the great ones stay in office.
Quote from previous post: “Curious, so is it possible to be a Police Officer who only upholds individual rights and remain employed, today?”
My answer to this question is a qualified “yes”, so long as you don’t come under the scrutiny of a hard-nosed, irrational superior. As a former police officer, I did the following:
-
Arrested the Wild Life and Fisheries Commissioner for DUI. I was reprimanded for this by the Commander for not paying homage to status.
-
Refused to arrest individuals caught smoking marijuana, so long as they were not trying to sell to or involve minors. No one caught me on this.
-
Refused a transfer to work undercover in Vice or Narcotics. Again a reprimand. I stated I would quit before becoming a criminal just to catch one.
-
I was passed over for promotion due to past reprimands. I ultimately quit to become a mechanical engineer.
So, one can remain employed; however not without some cost to one’s career. In general, if you are a man of principle, I would advise against a career in law enforcement today.
Aqualyst, thank you for your personal experiences with this area of employment and for listing several examples. Also, thank you for your insight into remaining principled in this occupation.
In other words, no, you can’t. Because cops can’t pick and choose which laws to enforce. Not now, and not in an Objectivist society. It’s not your job, and not your responsibility.
I’m sorry you felt a responsibility towards drug users to protect them from drug bans. It wasn’t your responsibility to do that. It’s the responsibility of politicians and voters. Or, when politicians and voters fail, then it’s each individual’s responsibility to protect themselves either by not using drugs, or by doing it very carefully and being prepared to face the consequences.
As an occasional pot smoker, you should know that I wouldn’t expect you to do that for me. I would probably think less of you if you showed any kind of special enthusiasm in coming after me, but if I was stupid enough to just run into a cop while smoking a joint, or try and buy pot from an undercover vice cop, I wouldn’t hold it against you. I would blame myself for being careless.
Just as I don’t hold it against you that, to become a mechanical engineer, you’ve probably gone through quite a bit of public schooling, funded by forced taxation. Or that you use public roads to get to work. Or that you or your employer might take on public contracts funded by my taxes. Don’t worry about it, I do the same things. We all do. Regular citizens and cops alike. We don’t make the rules of society. If we could, we would make better ones. But, as it stands, this is the society we have to live in, so these are the rules we have to use to achieve our goals.
- This is a criminal act. While I sympathize with having to deal with having a criminal for a superior, I don’t understand how that’s relevant to the questions in this thread.
2, 3) Picking and choosing which laws to enforce is not the prerogative of a police officer. Not in current society, and not in an ideal Objectivist country.
Hmm, Aqualyst had explained that one can remain in law enforcement with a qualifier, that if a superior who’s not principled towards individual rights has the say then it’s best to resign in order to remain principled.
Nicky, had said “no”.
In other words, no, you can’t. Because cops can’t pick and choose which laws to enforce. Not now, and not in an Objectivist society. It’s not your job, and not your responsibility.
I’m sorry you felt a responsibility towards drug users to protect them from drug bans. It wasn’t your responsibility to do that. It’s the responsibility of politicians and voters. Or, when politicians and voters fail, then it’s each individual’s responsibility to protect themselves either by not using drugs, or by doing it very carefully and being prepared to face the consequences.
As an occasional pot smoker, you should know that I wouldn’t expect you to do that for me. I would probably think less of you if you showed any kind of special enthusiasm in coming after me, but if I was stupid enough to just run into a cop while smoking a joint, or try and buy pot from an undercover vice cop, I wouldn’t hold it against you. I would blame myself for being careless.
Nicky, I may be wrong, but it appears that you are saying the rule of law must be carried out regardless of the content within the law?
But the politicians and the voters in democracy have failed.
Why must law be followed if the law is unprincipled towards individual rights?
From what I understand, blaming a pot smoker for being careless is simply punishing the innocent for no other reason than because he did what should be legal, if anything shouldn’t the pot smoker have your sympathy?
Nicky, do you not condemn the Nazi guards for carrying out the law? I"m asking this because it appears that you would not condemn law enforcement for arresting homosexual couples from engaging in sodomy when it was/is illegal from the State.
Ultimately, I don’t understand how this is unlike victims becoming the victimizers and punishing the good for no other reason than simply because they were innocent.