Well, that is how you and I might see it, but not how a typical citizen or typical cop sees it. Or, to put it another way, the cop agrees with you in principle, but disagrees about morality. The ideology of law enforcement will (roughly) match the ideology of the typical middle-class citizen. If the typical citizen supports the war on drugs, the typical cop will sees himself as a good guy in the war on drugs.
I don’t doubt that the typical police officer sees himself as a good person, acting morally. Also the typical middle-class citizen, even as he votes to enact laws which you and I know to be immoral.
But I don’t know how much that helps us to answer the questions that I believe have been asked in the thread, such as whether their actions are in fact moral, or whether a moral man (i.e. one who knows that these immoral laws are immoral) can seek out such a career, and make such compromises (if compromises they are), without doing damage to himself; i.e. without acting immorally.
Are you going to judge the cop or the judge more harshly for doing what he thinks is the right thing, compared to your judgement of granny Smith reading her newspapers and cheering them on: “Good show! They busted a big drug gang today!”
I don’t think my primary interest here (or with respect to ethics generally) is in judging other people, per se, or making comparative judgements as to their degree of wickedness. If we were asking whether shoplifting were wrong, I don’t know whether it would help us resolve the question to compare the crimes of a petty shoplifter to those of Jeffrey Dahmer. It might even serve to distract.
But if you think such comparisons serve a purpose here, I’ll try to answer your question. If it is immoral to initiate the use of force, even in the course of police work, then I tend to believe that a police officer will have (over time) a greater and more immediate range of experience with respect to the reality of that immorality, and its consequences, than would a grandmother cheering him on from the sidelines. The grandmother may well have metaphorical blood on her hands; the police officer may well have literal blood on his.
So if we must speak of degrees of immorality, then all else being equal, I do typically consider those who commit immoral actions to have the edge (in a bad way) over those who are removed from the practical consequences of their ideas such that they may not yet fully grasp them. A grandmother may not understand what destruction and heartache her views on a prohibition on drugs cause; not in the way a police officer probably does. (Though this might also give the police officer a greater opportunity to reassess his choices and beliefs, as he sees for himself how the enforcement of immoral law affects both him, the victims, and society).
Further, if we take both grandmothers and police officers, on average, as exemplars of “the typical middle-class citizen,” with ideology to match (which endorses the initiation of the use of force, and is consequently immoral), then how could I hold the police officer above the grandmother in terms of evaluating their respective morality, absent further detail? I see no reason to believe that the average grandmother believes in the drug war, while the average police officer does not. I hold them, at minimum, to support the drug war to the same degree. Rather, what I know is that the police officer has committed himself personally to waging that war. It may not demonstrate any greater depth of conviction than a given grandmother holds, but then again, it might.
If however you think I’m wrong about all of this, and you think that the grandmother is worse than the police officer (perhaps because you believe the police officer is demonstrating his integrity, or bravery, or some other virtue), then I’m happy to concede the point for the purpose of this conversation – it’s not a question that interests me a great deal in general, and I don’t yet see that it helps me to resolve those questions which do. In your first sentence in your initial post in this thread, you said that “those who want the immoral laws are wrong: the primary source of the problem.” In my reply, I agreed, but then I asked: “Are those who enforce the immoral laws also wrong?”
I would still like to see that question clearly answered.
Is it melodramatic? Yes, I think so.
LOL, well, I asked and you answered. That’s fair. 
There are degrees of immorality.
Absolutely.
Abstractly, philosophically, and in principle a violation of my rights is a violation.
Yes, all of those things. A violation of your rights is also a violation in fact, with all that necessarily entails, lest the qualifiers “abstractly, philosophically, and in principle” serve to diminish that important truth.
However, I don’t think every violation is a “destruction of innocent lives”.
No, certainly not. (Did I state or imply the contrary?)
A woman in Saudi Arabia might say that the law destroys her life; a homosexual arrested by the Indian police may say so too; an illegal immigrant tossed out of the country might say that; a teenage girl in Mississippi forced to carry a baby to term might say that… but, if someone is fined $500 in Chicago for selling Foie Gras despite the ban, can he claim the law has ruined his life?
Eh, I could perhaps construct a short story in which the foie gras ban does indeed have deeply hurtful (and reasonable/logical) consequences for an individual, and I don’t see any good purpose in diminishing his plight, or making light of what is still an injustice, and immoral. A law banning foie gras might be fun to banter back and forth for those who are far removed from such a thing, as presumably we are, but to a fine foods salesman or chef or gourmand, it might yet be a fairly serious matter.
But fine. Let’s say that such a law, generally speaking, does not ruin lives (though I don’t know how to calculate the cumulative effect of such small regulations on a person over the course of his life, and I don’t think anyone else does either, though I suspect it is not “small” altogether).
With that conceded, do you suppose it was to a foie gras ban/slap-on-the-wrist fine, or comparable, I was referring to when I wrote of “the destruction of innocent lives”? Or is it more likely that I was referring to things like multi-year prison sentences for drug offenses, or the loss of actual life that routinely takes place during the enforcement of such laws? You may yet find me melodramatic – heck I’ll plead guilty to save you the trouble – but I’m not sure you’ve given my choice of rhetoric on this topic a fair assessment, based on this response.
We live in a society where most of our fellow citizens have absorbed the ideas of Aristotle and John Locke via cultural osmosis. Among the mess of philosophical ideas bouncing around their heads is a notion that individual happiness is good, and the notion that people should be free to make choices if they don’t hurt others. These notions act as a check on other, immoral, notions that they also “hold”. The result is a set of laws that ban or restrict various values, but by and large leave open many values as legal choices.
Agreed.
As I said above, there are exceptions: laws that target certain acts in ways that can severely impact lives. But, on the whole, I think it is melodramatic to say that our laws act to destroy innocent lives.
Unless our laws do in fact act to destroy innocent lives… which I think is perhaps even demonstrably true, though I don’t quite know how “on the whole” is meant to modify the sentiment. Or did you take me to mean that every single law on the books has that same result? Just in case, allow me to clarify:
What I meant was that a police officer, in swearing to uphold the law (meaning: all of the law, including the immoral portions) is swearing to personally commit actions which have the effect of destroying innocent lives. Not necessarily when fining a man for illicit sales of foie gras, but perhaps yet when he enforces other statutes, such as those that concern the “war on drugs.”
Do you disagree?
Anyhow, a debate on seriousness doesn’t really get us anywhere.
All right.
We live in a society that has certain ideas about right and wrong.
Agreed.
Being a democracy, these ideas find there way into law.
Sure.
Cops are average folk.
Probably so, for the most part.
They enforce the law, not primarily because they want to enforce immoral laws, but because they think the laws are moral for the most part.
Yes.
It’s right to condemn these laws because they are immoral.
Agreed.
When it comes to moral condemnation, I think those who support the immoral law most stridently are worthy of the most strident condemnation.
Okay.
So, if a judge let’s a minor drug-offender off, I would still hold him on a higher level than my uncle who says that we need a zero-tolerance policy and that the judge should be voted out of office for being lax.
Okay.
We are agreed that those who want immoral laws are wrong. Are those who enforce such immoral laws also wrong?